Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mosquitos.........help

(10 Posts)
mummypoppins Mon 06-Aug-07 17:29:14

OK so normally a problem for me when I o abroad but we live in the Midlands and by a river and with all the recent floods I am being chewed!

Great big red lumps all over..........apart from the obvious repellent sprays etc any tips as to what I can do ?

whomovedmychocolate Mon 06-Aug-07 17:30:11

Eat more garlic. We have a similar problem and they never bite me because I'm a garlic and onion eating stinker. DH on the other hand is constantly nibbled.

MrsBadger Mon 06-Aug-07 17:35:25

They're not meant to like the smell of some toiletries either - someone once mentioned citrus or tea-tree puts them off
(the Original Source shower gels etc are pretty potent)

MrsCarrot Mon 06-Aug-07 17:44:34

Avon so soft spray was recommended to me by a mnetter just before I went to cornwall last week in a tipi (by a lake). I got one bite and that was when I hadn't sprayed any on. Dh reckons there weren't that many around so who knows. Could have been that so it's worth a try. I think the police use it in Mull, or marines or something.

MarsLady Mon 06-Aug-07 17:52:14

Roll on deodorant (not alcohol free). An Aussie doctor told me this.... blardy best advice ever. Roll over the bites. The sting/itch goes instantly!

mummypoppins Mon 06-Aug-07 18:05:12

hey guys thanks..............will def try he deorderant. I look like I have the plague...........also very hairy legs as forgot to get a waxing appointment. Not been a problem thus far this year! mmmmmmmmmmm sexy!

samsmam Mon 06-Aug-07 18:07:10

Eat marmite or take vit b, they hate the taste of it so won't come near you.

bettythebuilder Mon 06-Aug-07 19:12:23

really, samsmam? That explains why dh gets bitten much more than me on holiday (I take marmite with me...can't live without it )

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Mon 06-Aug-07 19:17:07

This stuff is only available mail order, but it can even beat the Scottish Midges.So it is very very good.

MrsCarrot Mon 06-Aug-07 22:05:30

Thats interesting, it has geraniam in, someone else recommended that to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now