Advanced search

HELP On Holiday no medication

(21 Posts)
AnneKipanki Sun 25-Aug-19 06:55:28

In France .On holiday.
OH has forgotten his medication.
It is sertraline.
Does anyone know if I can go to a pharmacist and get that ?

OP’s posts: |
SleepyKat Sun 25-Aug-19 07:31:22

Have you got a prescription with you?

AnneKipanki Sun 25-Aug-19 07:35:45

Unfortunately, no.

OP’s posts: |
AnneKipanki Sun 25-Aug-19 07:36:05

Thanks @SleepyKat

OP’s posts: |
mummymummymummummum Sun 25-Aug-19 07:37:21

I'd go and speak to a pharmacist. They'll be able to advise what you need to do. They're really helpful!

trinity0097 Sun 25-Aug-19 07:38:01

In Europe you seem to be able to get a lot more Over counter than in the UK, try going to a pharmacy and explaining the situation,

OhTheRoses Sun 25-Aug-19 07:44:04

Go to a pharmacy and ask them for details of the local dr (cabinet). They will be able to advise. Hopefully you have an EHIC and med insurance - you will get some of the cost back.

swingofthings Sun 25-Aug-19 07:51:59

I don't think you'll be able to get an antidepressant over the counter in France and you might have to make an emergency appt with a GP. Did your OH take his EHIC card?

AnneKipanki Sun 25-Aug-19 07:52:52

Thanks everyone. I will try that . There are a couple in the next town that are open for a few hours today

OP’s posts: |
AnneKipanki Sun 25-Aug-19 07:53:39

I thought that might be the case @swingofthings

OP’s posts: |
DocusDiplo Sun 25-Aug-19 07:54:10

Fingers crossed OP. What a pain!

AnneKipanki Sun 25-Aug-19 07:58:31

Definitely have EHIC card .

OP’s posts: |
stucknoue Sun 25-Aug-19 08:12:10

We got it via nhs 111 in the U.K. but we were within the U.K. there's a possibility though they can help, worth a shot (you would need the name, phone number and address of the pharmacy that is open.). You won't be the first.

rrg1 Sun 25-Aug-19 08:29:57

In Spain, I took friend with same problem into local CAP A&E department and explained the problem to the receptionist, we saw a Doctor within 10 minutes, who issued a prescription, after some detailed questions. She did have an empty packet of anti-depressants to show, as she had run out.

Maybe try it in France.

AnneKipanki Sun 25-Aug-19 08:36:27

Thanks@rrg1 no empty packet

OP’s posts: |
val4 Sun 25-Aug-19 08:42:19

What about calling/emailing your own doctors surgery or pharmacy and asking them to email you the prescription. Then get it filled at a pharmacy. I'm in Ireland and had to do that while in France once.

AnneKipanki Sun 25-Aug-19 09:04:52

Thanks @val4
Could try that too .

OP’s posts: |
Oldmum55 Sun 25-Aug-19 09:29:47

You will have to see a doctor. If you see one privately you can see them any time, they even come to you and they'll then issue a prescription. You will have to pay but can get it refunded via your insurance.

AnneKipanki Sun 25-Aug-19 09:38:33

I thought insurance unlikely to cover that as pre existing condition .

OP’s posts: |
AnneKipanki Sun 25-Aug-19 10:41:21

He has found them.

I think I was getting more agitated than he was. I was more calm and rational to begin with but the more I thought about all the logistics the more irritated and upset I became.

Thanks everyone for all your replies.

OP’s posts: |
Oldmum55 Sun 25-Aug-19 10:58:41

Great news Anne! Are you still on speaking terms? Enjoy your holidays! wine

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in