Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Walking sticks - do I need to get one from a physio

(9 Posts)
saltire Mon 06-Aug-07 15:46:49

Probably stuck this in the wrong place. Would I need to get reffered to a physio to get a walking stick, or should I just buy myself one? A friend bought herself one and the physio told het it was a wrong fit and the wrong type!

tiredemma Mon 06-Aug-07 15:47:39

physio.

saltire Mon 06-Aug-07 15:51:01

Will I be able to buy one from the physio, or will it be on loan?

tiredemma Mon 06-Aug-07 15:52:45

I really dont know- have you been referred via your gp to see a physio?

saltire Mon 06-Aug-07 15:56:57

No, I have Fibromyalgia, and I am going to ask to be referred to see if I can get some exercises to do during a flare up. I also want to enquire about a stick as I really struggle to walk when I have a flare up in my feet or legs

tiredemma Mon 06-Aug-07 16:01:56

one of my close friends is a physio, she is in africa at the mo though setting up a clinic ( how incovenient!!!)

As far as I know- it is best to get physio advice on any walking aid- you would be able to purchase your own, but also have one on loan.

If you can hang on one week- I can ask my pal!

saltire Mon 06-Aug-07 16:09:45

Thanks emma. It will be 2 weeks before I can see the Doc to ask for the referral anyway, but if you could ask her if you get teh chance that would be great.
I am not keen on those plain grey NHS style ones, my friends sister has MS and she has a great tartan one

suey2 Mon 06-Aug-07 16:15:57

hi there i am a physio.
I would wait to see the physio TBH. They will normally just give you one with the promise from you that you return it if you no longer need it. Since it is not for the normal hip/ knee reasons it is difficult to predict exactly what will suit you until you try it out- maybe see if you can borrow from someone until you see the physio?

nailpolish Mon 06-Aug-07 16:18:06

afaik its important to get the correct height of stick, and a physio is the best person to advise you of this. also the correct technique

hope you feel better soon, salty xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: