Advanced search

Using BUPA health insurance

(4 Posts)
Pud2 Sat 24-Aug-19 18:26:02

I have a small growth that needs to be looked at by a dermatologist. As I have BUPA, I may as well use it. I’ve always gone to the GP first to get a referral but I’m wondering if one can bi-pass that and book directly with a specialist? Will BUPA still cover?

OP’s posts: |
granadagirl Sat 24-Aug-19 18:40:34

I thought you always had to get gp referral letter when seeing consultant.

PrincessSarene Sat 24-Aug-19 18:44:30

I’ve got BUPA health cover and there’s a (short) list of conditions for which you can self refer and don’t need to go via the GP. I think back/neck pain are on that list. Not sure what else is though. You would need to check your policy booklet. But for the majority of things you still need a GP referral.

Pipandmum Sat 24-Aug-19 18:48:05

Check your excess. I had to go have a consultant look at a tooth. The x ray and his time were charged separately even though it was one after the other and he needed the X-ray. But bupa made me pay separate excess on both at £100 each. The X-ray was £100 consultant £150, so they only paid the £50. Stopped paying for Bupa shortly after that.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in