Talk

Advanced search

How bad is this? Bone loss in gums

(13 Posts)
Firebreathingwoman Tue 20-Aug-19 22:35:46

Had a dental X-ray today and was told I have 30 per cent bone loss - can anyone tell me how grim this is please?

OP’s posts: |
Mummy0ftwo12 Tue 20-Aug-19 22:57:28

my dentist last week told me mine was 25% - and that they got concerned at 50%

Haggisfish Tue 20-Aug-19 22:58:42

Do you smoke? I stopped when my dentist showed me where my bone was shrinking!

Firebreathingwoman Tue 20-Aug-19 23:08:12

No, despite my user name, I've never smoked.
That's reassuring, @mummyOftwo12, thanks.

justasking111 Tue 20-Aug-19 23:17:32

My OH had his bone density measured this week, his mum had osteoporosis. Was shocked to find he had it mildly, now will be going on tablets and alendronic acid. I would ask for it to be checked.

Pipandmum Tue 20-Aug-19 23:21:49

Didn’t your dentist tell you?

bionicnemonic Tue 20-Aug-19 23:24:54

Do you have missing teeth? The bone likes to have pressure on it, if you have missing teeth the bone might like a workout, something like a myo munchie

bionicnemonic Tue 20-Aug-19 23:25:42

As in, pressure from the opposing teeth,

BlueCornsihPixie Tue 20-Aug-19 23:28:23

Firstly don't panic!

30% bone loss isn't great. However 30% is a level where if you get your gum disease under control you can keep all your teeth and basically never have any problems.

Contrary to what Mummy says we get concerned about any bone loss. It depends how old you are really, if you are 20 then it's very concerning, if you are 80 then not so much.

Also just because you have bone loss doesn't mean you have any active disease, it could be historic. I would want to know more about the condition of your gums than bone levels, you can't really go off bone levels alone as it doesn't tell you if there's actually anything going on. Only that something has in the past

What's your oral hygiene like? Did your dentist talk you through a proper oral care regime? Are you flossing or using ID brushes daily?

Bone loss is caused by gum disease. It is caused by plaque, smoking or diabetes normally, or a combination. Rarely other things

If you don't smoke then it is most likely down to plaque build up. In which case the dentist should be able to help you identify areas you are missing and ways you can improve. As well as this having regular scales with the dentist or regular hygienist visits

BlueCornsihPixie Tue 20-Aug-19 23:30:21

But at 30% it is definitely completely sortable. You won't grow back bone but you can prevent further bone loss and not have any issues with your teeth.

Do you have a hygienist?

Firebreathingwoman Wed 21-Aug-19 07:48:45

Thank you for that comprehensive reply @bluecornishpixie.
It's caused by plaque, and the hygienist has talked me through what I need to do.
I'm using the teepee brushes as well as brushing more thoroughly.
Are there any more environmentally friendly alternatives to teepee though? I'm not thrilled with using so much throwaway plastic.

BlueCornsihPixie Wed 21-Aug-19 09:57:39

That's good! definitely sounds like you are on the right track, you should be able to stop it progressing smile

Erm, there's bamboo handles one's which are a bit better, I've never tried them so I can't really comment on their effectiveness though. Curaprox also so a reusable metal handle so the brushes fit on the handle, then you hang onto the handle and keep the brushes.

The brushes still have plastic but are smaller. ID brushes can be used for a week or so as well so they aren't completely single use although I agree not ideal.

kalinkafoxtrot45 Wed 21-Aug-19 10:00:59

I have this though I am not sure what percentage. It’s not great though and some teeth are wobbly. My case was due to my dental phobia meaning tartar build up, which allowed an aggressive infection to take hold. Had to have under gum cleaning and antibiotics. Hopefully stabilised now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »