Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd is on ranitidine and domperidone is it normal for her poo to be?

(21 Posts)
trace2 Sun 05-Aug-07 21:22:21

BRIGHT GREEN? shes only be on a week and looks and smells awful is this normal?

peggotty Sun 05-Aug-07 21:25:54

Hi, my dd was on ranitidine but not domperidone, and I can't remember any green poo. Are you sure it's not something else causing it. I'm sure someone else who has had dcs on both may be able to advise you.

twentypence Sun 05-Aug-07 21:28:46

How old is she?

trace2 Sun 05-Aug-07 21:32:13

shes 8 weeks old tomorrow, we have put it down to meds cos it started two days after she started on it

trace2 Sun 05-Aug-07 21:37:53

bump

Jossiejump Sun 05-Aug-07 21:57:20

My DS1 was on both meds, I don't remember green poo from this, but the breast feeding counsellor did say that it can be green from a great amount of foremilk (I think that was what it was) maybe your body is producing more foremilk (if you are bf) as it is thirst quenching, to compensate for the weather being hot. Could be worth talking to your locl NCT BF counsellor for advice if you are feeding (you don't have to be an NCT member)

Jossiejump Sun 05-Aug-07 21:59:00

PS I don't know if they told you what each med is for, I was told that the Ranitidine helps with the stomach acid andthe Domperidone speeds food through the system. There is a very good article on it on the Virginia medical school website

twentypence Mon 06-Aug-07 00:58:26

Ds had green poo at that age and was on neither drug.

fearscape Mon 06-Aug-07 09:34:36

My ds was on both, his poo could look a bit browny-green at times but don't ever remember it being bright green... smelt pretty horrible though (has got worse!).

MoosMa Mon 06-Aug-07 10:18:21

DD1 had ranitidine and had green poo sometimes, it tended to be when she'd had stuck wind. I think poo goes green when things aren't being digested properly for one reason or another. Is she very windy?

trace2 Mon 06-Aug-07 10:24:17

yes she is very windy ill ask when i go to clinc on wed

RubySlippers Mon 06-Aug-07 10:25:52

DS had both these meds but didn't have green poo
definitely mention it at the clinic on wednesday

trace2 Mon 06-Aug-07 10:27:43

but its every poo

trace2 Mon 06-Aug-07 10:28:53

when in hopitasl they menstioned that she could be lacloce intorlance i wonder if its that

MrsPuddleduck Mon 06-Aug-07 10:45:21

My little boy took ranitidine and domperidone for a year and never had green poo.

Have you thought of getting it changed? Now takes omeperazole (which is only once a day as well)

CharleeWeasley Mon 06-Aug-07 10:47:15

My DS is on Ranitadine and Domperidone and has been for a while and no green poo's here either! Has he got a tummy bug or eaten something?

trace2 Mon 06-Aug-07 15:44:59

can not change with out peads saying as dd had really bad episodes stopping breathing and lack of oxgyen to the brain

foxinsocks Mon 06-Aug-07 15:47:14

ask at the clinic trace

I don't remember dd's poo going green on the medicine (but she may not have been on both at the same time, my goodness, it's amazing how easy it is to forget)

however, dd had very strange poo until her allergies were sorted out so it might be worthwhile mentioning the lactose intolerance idea the hospital had next time you go in

trace2 Mon 06-Aug-07 15:58:59

thanks all i will do forget to mention dd is on low antibotics for kidneys reflux i surpose it could be tha

twentypence Tue 07-Aug-07 08:39:52

Antibiotics can do really interesting things to poo? I would advise pro biotics (for you if breastfeeding). The antibiotics could also be causing (or worsening) the lactose intolerance.

Elibean Tue 07-Aug-07 13:40:16

Mine is on both and has never had bright green poo, except once when she had an upset tummy/wind...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now