Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

doctor or dentist for wisdom tooth pain, what's the best?

(11 Posts)
JiminyCricket Sun 05-Aug-07 19:57:44

I think I need to see someone - Its not awful yet, but has been getting steadily worse over last few weeks and now hard to eat and very sore..I guess I need the dentist but loathe to pay loads of money in order to be prescribed something the doctor could give me..I could prob easily get an appt tomorrow with either, they're both quite good. Any advice?

Marne Sun 05-Aug-07 20:01:00

Dentist, they might take it out though, they seem less keen on doing fillings on wisdom teeth.

MaureenMLove Sun 05-Aug-07 20:01:13

Don't think the doctor would prescribe anyway tbh. He'll send you away with orders to go to the dentist and suggest you take pain killers. You ought to go to the dentist though, if they're sore they may not be growing right and need to come out.

barnstaple Sun 05-Aug-07 20:02:30

Dentist, definitely.

callmeovercautious Sun 05-Aug-07 20:04:34

Dentist - they can prescribe antibiotics if it is infected. But the GP will just send you to them.

Been there several times with mine Good news is mine are all through now and did not have any removed

JiminyCricket Sun 05-Aug-07 21:12:23

cheers dh said same will go asap.

Theresad Sun 05-Aug-07 23:57:27

I know this is a bit late in the day.
But before I had my wisdom teeth out the dentist had me keep a paracetamol tablet on the area and to let it disolve in its own time. Tasted vile but worked wonders!

JiminyCricket Mon 06-Aug-07 18:55:41

ugh taste would be vile, but i guess it might be worth it - suprising update, I went to the dentist this morning 9.45 and she whipped out the top wisdom tooth straight away. Also got antibiotics as they are a bit infected. Funniest part was her saying ' do you mind me asking how old you are?' obviously shocked that I was still having wisdom teeth probs at 35. It really hurt

twofalls Mon 06-Aug-07 19:06:29

It does hurt, I know. I am still waiting for one of mine to come through, it has to come out when it is through. I have so much sympathy for my dd.

At least you have a good excuse to eat mashed potato and ice cream.

wendywho1 Thu 10-Mar-16 22:26:41

I think you'll find which one is BETTER is the correct grammar!

Ginmakesitallok Thu 10-Mar-16 22:28:34

9 years!! Ffs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now