Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know how long viral ear ache lasts????

(7 Posts)
GibbonInARibbon Sun 05-Aug-07 07:43:01

Should it of cleared in a week?

[clueless]

mrsdelboy Sun 05-Aug-07 08:01:16

I suppose everyone is different but my dd had viral ear ache in January and it lasted about 2 and a half weeks. Was due to fly earky Feb and so doctor gave us antibiotics after one wek but it didn't help. Eventually used some homeopathic remedies. Don't know if they helped but dd liked taking the tiny pills and it cleared just before we went away.

GibbonInARibbon Sun 05-Aug-07 08:39:58

thanks mrsdelboy

I like to use homeopathy when I can, what product did you use?

It has been just over a week and you must of read my mind as was wondering if AB's are needed. It's both ears (one more than the other) and it's driving her mad, especially at night

mrsdelboy Sun 05-Aug-07 09:13:52

My dd was exactly the same, it seemed so much worse at night. It was so bad that some nights she was wimpering in her sleep. I used kali muriaticum which is supposed to help break down any mucus behind the ear drum i think. Also used belladonna at the same time which is for severe ear pain.

If you need it, I have got the number of a homeopathic pharmacy where you can speak to a homeopath over the phone and they then send out remedies in post. You usually get them the next day and they are not expensive.

After first lot of AB did not work went back to doctors and asked for more but he wouldn't give them to me. I just felt so helpless as she was in a lot of pain.

I hope she gets better soon

GibbonInARibbon Sun 05-Aug-07 09:27:42

Thanks mrsdelboy - really helpful

A friend of mine had homeopath so will speak to her re seeing him.

Thanks again

fearscape Sun 05-Aug-07 09:33:37

Antibiotics will do nothing for a viral infection, that's why doctors can be reluctant to prescribe them. However, your dd could get a secondary bacterial infection, in which case you might need antibiotics. If it doesn't get better I would go back to your doctor. Our gp generally gives antibiotics for an ear infection which isn't clearing up on its own. Good luck and hope your dd is better soon.

GibbonInARibbon Sun 05-Aug-07 09:40:48

Thanks fearscape...tbh I'd prefer to avoid AB's if possible, it's just wasn't sure how long a viral infection lasts....good point about secondary infection...think I'll go back to GP just to check that isn't the case as she seemed to be improving and has gotten worse again last 2 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now