Talk

Advanced search

Persistently cough and "tight" throat, soreness in chest

(9 Posts)
SunsetBeetch Sat 17-Aug-19 17:45:34

Just wondering whether this is worth bothering the doctor with really.

Following a short cold, 5 weeks later I still have a sometimes tickly, sometimes chesty cough. I sometimes cough up some catarrh, but it's quite clear and runny in consistency. I also get a tightness in my throat and a bit of soreness in my lower chest.

None of the symptoms are particularly bad, just persistent and a bit annoying.

I know they say "if symptoms persist consult your doctor", but I don't know if it's worth their time if I'm not ill as such. Maybe I just need to wait it out?

OP’s posts: |
zafferana Sat 17-Aug-19 17:48:31

Go and see your doctor - could be a chest infection.

SunsetBeetch Mon 19-Aug-19 13:42:56

I just thought I'd feel more unwell if there was something wrong with me. Apart from feeling a little bit dizzy occasionally, I'm otherwise fine.

zafferana Mon 19-Aug-19 14:42:20

Ever heard of 'walking pneumonia'? You can be walking about and have a deadly illness. Go and get it checked out. You may need some antibiotics, but even if you don't it's better to be safe.

SunsetBeetch Mon 19-Aug-19 17:08:45

Ok you have convinced me. Thank you xx

SummerLove2306 Mon 19-Aug-19 17:10:38

My mum had pneumonia and a lung infection for 2 months before she got treatment!! She just thought it was a cough taking a while to go away!

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Mon 19-Aug-19 17:12:21

Do you ever cough so much you can’t catch a breath of air?

Whooping cough... on the rise apparently.

SunsetBeetch Mon 19-Aug-19 17:32:09

Wow really? No it's not quite that bad.

That's quite scary.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Mon 19-Aug-19 17:45:10

It’s not so awful in adults but bad for small children and those who aren’t so strong.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »