Talk

Advanced search

Do people just live with aches like this?

(11 Posts)
Creakyoldknees Fri 16-Aug-19 20:17:49

Undecided whether to see GP.

A few years ago I went to GP with bad joint pains. Eg, I was struggling to walk down the stairs first thing in the day.

Saw rheumatology consultant a few times. Blood tests showed inflammation, but x-rays and rheumatoid arthritis tests all clear. MRI scan of feet showed torn tendon and other soft tissue damage. Some sort of random arthritis considered. Couple of times was asked if I wanted to start medication but it seemed optional, I didn't really understand process, so just said I'm fine thank you... Or similar!

House move, new consultant took a really combative approach and said prove to me you need medication... Really odd. I haven't been back .

All settled down and only occasional pains anyway, but recently has been bad again.

But I can't face the whole rigmarole again! I get by, doesn't affect what I do, I get by fine.

OP’s posts: |
NotWavingButMNing Sat 17-Aug-19 12:55:11

How old are you?
The answer in my case is that health issues just seemed to snowball once I was in my 50s. Each thing seems worse than the last and small niggly things that would have sent me running to the GP ten years ago get ignored.
I'd had aches in finger joints for years and was eventually diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis. There are some heavy duty drugs for this which are excellent but not without side effects. I manage quite well with Hydroxychloroquine but I still have pain and stiffness at times.
If you get by and you don't have obvious joint swelling then perhaps your consultant wanted to wait until you really needed them?

Creakyoldknees Sat 17-Aug-19 14:50:40

Im 40.

Hydroxychloroquine is what my first consultant said we could try.

I have a bit more self awareness now, in hindsight i know I accepted a high level of pain in past, eg when the tendon in my foot was torn it was really painful and huge but it didn't occur to me to see gp, just waited it out.

I do manage fine and definitely not as bad these days, it's more that it might be nice to not have.

OpheliaTodd Sat 17-Aug-19 14:53:23

I do. Early 50s. Menopausal. Had tests for arthritis etc. All clear. In pain all the time. Have given up expecting help from the doctor. Very fed up 😕

justasking111 Sat 17-Aug-19 14:55:38

I see a physio occasionally and do the exercises he has set me.

Creakyoldknees Sat 17-Aug-19 14:57:51

Sorry to hear that OpheliaTodd.

gubbsywubbsy Sat 17-Aug-19 15:14:06

Yes ... I have pain all the time and have done for years .. I have a bad back too so often it's all over my body.. it is very annoying and I get bad flare ups . I'm also a bit overweight and if I try and use the gym it hurts for weeks afterwards so often I don't bother ..
I've had tests for arthritis , seen a fibro nurse and had many blood test .. apparently I'm fine 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️..

Creakyoldknees Sat 17-Aug-19 15:21:08

gubbsywubbsy that sounds difficult. I think for my own mental well-being I'd rather not get into the medical route if it would just be frustrating.

gubbsywubbsy Sat 17-Aug-19 15:37:25

It's annoying ... I've had it for so long now I've learnt to cope with it .. when I get up I'm often in pain and people ask me if I'm injured and I just say nah I'm old ( I'm 44 and look younger ) otherwise how do you explain it .. I guess it's my normal though and I rarely take medication because it doesn't help 🤷‍♀️

NotWavingButMNing Sat 17-Aug-19 15:37:27

Hydroxychloroquine is very easy to tolerate and has made a massive difference to me. I didn't realise quite how much until last year. My consultant said my RA was in remission and we should try without the drugs for a while. I was was fine for three months and then went downhill very badly.
The thing with RA if it goes untethered is the risk of permanent disfigurement of joints - my fingers are very bent.

gubbsywubbsy Sat 17-Aug-19 15:38:34

I do have a theory though that it's stress based because I have excellent mental health and have had a lot of things to deal with so it is unusual , I think all my upset and stress goes to my bones .. weirdly

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »