Talk

Advanced search

Why have my migraines changed?

(5 Posts)
LemonRedwood Thu 15-Aug-19 12:56:42

Could it just be age?

I've had migraines for about the last 15 years (I'm 38 now). Usually one every couple of months but towards the end of my previous job they became more like weekly.

Until recently they were without aura, the first sign I had one coming on would be a unilateral headache, always behind my right eye. The full-on migraine itself would be feeling of intense pressure behind my right eyeball. Hard to describe but pain so severe that the slightest movement would cause agony. However, this was the only symptom and I responded well to sumatriptan.

I was under a lot of stress in my last job and towards the end before I changed jobs I also experienced ocular migraines, so would have the same intense pain but also lose vision completely in my right eye, usually only for a few hours.

I changed jobs 3 months ago and didnt have any migraines (yay!) until a week and a half ago and another one yesterday. These 2 have been so different. I have unilateral pain again (right hand side) but not directly behind my eyeball. It's stretching down my neck and is also nowhere near as intense (good thing!). However, with these last two I have experienced extreme dizziness and nausea. The slightest movement made me almost pass out and feel like I was going to throw up although I didn't. The sumatriptan is still effective for the head pain but I didn't notice much of an effect on the dizziness and nausea, so if those are going to be regular occurrences I'll need to get the GP to review the prescription.

This seems like such a sudden change in symptoms and I'm not sure why. I thought less stress in my job would reduce the migraines but not change them completely! I'm not pregnant before anyone suggests it! I thought if it was just age there would be a more gradual change.

OP’s posts: |
MidnightMystery Thu 15-Aug-19 13:12:57

Could this be hormonal related?
I say that as my migraines have progressed similar to yours, without aura then with aura and now with numbness, tingling and speech issues while having an attack.

I'd go back to your GP and he may suggest seeing a neurologist, they will review medication and possibly do a routine MRI scan just to make sure everything looks as it should.

Sorry you are suffering x

MidnightMystery Thu 15-Aug-19 13:13:58

Sorry just seen I wrote he (gp) that's because my doctor is a man.

LemonRedwood Thu 15-Aug-19 16:01:45

grin It's OK Midnight, so's mine

OP’s posts: |
interminablehellishwhatever Thu 15-Aug-19 18:26:04

It might also be that you have a virus, OP. Some viral illnesses can cause horrible headaches and aches and pains in the neck, shoulders, arms, etc. Still a good idea to get checked out, but could be something that passes eventually, fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »