Talk

Advanced search

Is this just TMJ?

(8 Posts)
OctoberLovers Fri 16-Aug-19 13:31:46

Thank you browzingss

OP’s posts: |
browzingss Fri 16-Aug-19 10:05:08

That’s a bit poor from your GP. TMD gets worse if you don’t use conservative measures so for the past 6 months your pain has essentially increased as it hasn’t been managed.

I’m assuming that you don’t see your dentist regularly - they would be able to get you a soft splint/lower arch mouth guard moulded. This is a band 3 charge (some may offer it to you privately). They can also rule out any general dental issues that may have caused the recent change in symptoms. If necessary, they can refer you onwards later.

It’s either caused by a physical problem with your bone structure (which an x ray will show) or a muscle issue (which won’t show.)

Other things you can try include an alternative to ibuprofen gel applied to your masseter muscles, facial massages, eating soft foods, not chewing gum, not leaning on your face. General stress relief too.

Go back to your GP and get your ears checked just in case they’re inflamed. Ear pain can trigger TMD.

OctoberLovers Fri 16-Aug-19 00:32:14

Thank you both.

I dont clench as far as i know...

Dentist and eye tests booked for next week... Its just the wait i hate
Nevermind. Thank you

gamerchick Fri 16-Aug-19 00:28:33

You really should see a dentist OP. Do that and take it from there.

PoppingOneOutIn2020 Fri 16-Aug-19 00:25:55

I'd go and see a dentist.

Do you clench or grind at night?
The dentist may be able to make you an appliance you wear while you sleep that may help relax your jaw muscles and stop the joint from being inflamed.

OctoberLovers Fri 16-Aug-19 00:22:53

I was told TMJ... But ok, yes TMD

The dr gave me no advice, told me it would pass in afew days, i cant take ibuprofen / naproxen, which is the "go to" drug as i have renal failure...

browzingss Thu 15-Aug-19 10:40:56

So they diagnosed you with TMD (not ‘tmj’ - everyone has a temporomandibular joint) and then what? What advice were you given to alleviate the pain and what have you actually done to manage your symptoms since?

The eye and scalp problems are unrelated.

Ear pain may be related to TMD (it’s not that common though) which in turn can cause dizziness/lack of balance. Not necessarily on the scale that you describe though. Sensitivity to sound is not a common problem at all, would rather be a result of ear pains/headaches instead.

OctoberLovers Thu 15-Aug-19 00:47:20

Hi.

I have had jaw pain on and off for about 6 months, went to the dr and he said ot was TMJ (jaw disorder) But didnt do any tests to confirm this.
Swelling and pain on that side of the face / cheek has been on and off since.

The last three weeks, that side of my face is swollen, and stayed swollen.

For the last 6 days, the pain is in my face / jaw has intensified, ear and neck pain and headaches, the pressure is something else, the scalp feels very sensitive to touch, light really hurts my eyes, scrolling through the ipad hurts and makes me feel dizzy and sound is really annoying.

Is this TMJ, i rang the dr and he said to get a dentist appointment so they can xray my jar but i wasnt registered and now got to wait till next week for an appointment.

I know no one can diagnose me on the internet but was hoping to hear from anyone with TMJ to see how it effects them.

Thank you in advance for your reply

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in