Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Removal of IUD - does it have to be during period?

(9 Posts)
twentypence Sat 04-Aug-07 02:41:56

Or is that only if you are having another one or changing to another form of contraception.

I ask because it's a real mare to get an appointment at the FPC anyway - but especially if you don't actually know when your period would be, by the time you come on - they haven't got any appointments.

So if one was hypothetically thinking about TTC it wouldn't matter doing it to suit the apointment book? Or is there another technical reason?

Furball Sat 04-Aug-07 03:29:57

I had my coil changed for another one and that wasn't done during my period nor was the original one fitted during a period.

twentypence Sat 04-Aug-07 03:40:00

I have now found the leaflet that says that you can have it removed at any time if you are okay with getting pregnant. Thanks Furball.

It's still hypothetical...

snowwonder Sat 04-Aug-07 07:55:49

yeah i was wondering about this to i need mine removed. and i havent even looked at a man for 2 years never mind needing birth control, ( sinve becoming a lone parent)

i need a smear so was going yto get nurse to take it out then... would that be ok?

twentypence Sat 04-Aug-07 08:53:16

Combining with a smear - what a good idea! Maybe I'll just ring the GP, perhaps out is easier than in.

hoxtonchick Sat 04-Aug-07 08:58:57

so, you didn't get rid of your maternity clothes then 20p ?

twentypence Sat 04-Aug-07 09:48:32

Back in suitcase. Just hypothetically.

hoxtonchick Sat 04-Aug-07 10:21:37

Reallytired Sat 04-Aug-07 12:51:17

I just went down to the family planning clinic. They removed the coil and did a the smear as a drop in appointment. It does not have to be done during your period. Many women have no periods with the Mirena. It does not require a doctor to remove a coil. All they do is get some tweesters and pull it out. Its just hurts less if it done during your period.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now