Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do I get rid of a cough, I'm seriously fed up with it?

(17 Posts)
Lilliput Fri 03-Aug-07 22:59:31

I've had a bit of a cold, nothing major, but it's left me with a really annoying cough. I can go for a while without coughing then get a fit of coughing where I am nearly sick. I can barely hold a conversation and have been struggling to read bedtime stories. My dd has it too but she doesn't seem as annoyed by it as me. Does anyone know any old wives tales for getting rid of a cough?

Furball Sat 04-Aug-07 04:12:28

my dh has one at the moment and has done for about a month! He's even been to the docs for anti-b's but they didn't shift it. He's tken most things and still can't stop it. ATM and fingers crossed he is taking manuka honey which does seem to be calming it down.

twentypence Sat 04-Aug-07 05:15:20

Vicks vaporub on your feet quite thick and then a pair of warm socks over the top. Works best when in bed. We use this when ds wakes up coughing and he always sleeps for the rest of the night.

If you can get hold of comvita manuka honey and propolis lozenges in the UK then they are amazing for that tickle.

Also Dickensian Ginger syrup which you can get at Julian Graves (if I've remembered the name right - it's the one that sells all the nuts and dried fruit you have never heard of)

Lilliput Sat 04-Aug-07 07:49:22

How on earth does the vicks on your feet thing work?

Furball Sat 04-Aug-07 08:34:25

I was wondering that! Have heard of it on chest or back.

twentypence Sat 04-Aug-07 08:51:34

It's a mystery - the scientists don't know - but apparently it was discovered in a Canadian trial for something else. It has worked every time for us.

Lilliput Sun 05-Aug-07 18:20:28

Do you think if I took piriton before bed that might help?

prettymum Sun 05-Aug-07 18:27:10

is it a dry cough?? if so pholcodine linctus from boots is really good

Lilliput Sun 05-Aug-07 18:29:48

I read somewhere that antihistamines can suppress the cough reflex. It's particularly bad at night and driving my dh ( and me) bonkers.

moodlesoup Sun 05-Aug-07 20:21:31

hi, my mum thinks my baby and DH cough excessively and sent me a link about Vicks Vaporub. I haven't tried it but she seems to think its some kind of modern miracle... here's the details from her email if you are interested...totally understand if not!

It works 100% of the time although the scientists at the Canada Research council (who discovered it) aren't sure why.

To stop nighttime coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks Vaporub generously on the bottom of the feet at bedtime, then cover with socks. Even persistent, heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief.

Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly.

It was a surprising finding and found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bedtime, in addition to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly.

An adult friend tried it on herself when she had a very deep constant and persistent cough a few weeks ago and it worked 100%! She said that it felt like a warm blanket had enveloped her, coughing stopped in a few minutes and believe me, this was a deep, ( incredibly annoying!) every few seconds uncontrollable cough, and she slept cough-free for hours every night that she used it.

Lilliput Sun 05-Aug-07 20:32:40

My dh will think I am barmy but it is obviously worth a try.

twentypence Sun 05-Aug-07 21:27:36

It is weird, but it has worked every time. It's as lifechanging as discovering the gro bag.

Lilliput Mon 06-Aug-07 08:52:59

Well I tried it and although I got to sleep pretyy quickly and cough free, I woke up at about 3.30 coughing for half an hour. My cough feels a little looser today though.

twentypence Mon 06-Aug-07 10:00:35

Some nights you need to repeat the treatment.

Lilliput Mon 06-Aug-07 16:45:21

I went to the doctor and it turns out I've got bronchitis!!!!

moodlesoup Tue 07-Aug-07 20:18:09

oh.
hope you get better soon.
x

snowleopard Tue 07-Aug-07 20:20:22

The vicks thing sounds brilliant, but just in case, i often get this after a cold and in the past antibiotics have fixed it.

<old wife emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now