Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MOLLUSCUM CONTAGIOSUR - any updates on cures?

(13 Posts)
Howdydoody Fri 03-Aug-07 10:19:51

ZymaDerm was recommended on one thread, has anyone used it?

DC have had for a few months - doc said they could have them for another 2 years and we cant do anything about it!

Any advice welcome

DarrellRivers Fri 03-Aug-07 10:25:25

No ,but getting them superficially infected ie DC scratching them , seems to get them to go away.

Howdydoody Fri 03-Aug-07 11:07:52

I thought scratching would spread the infection?

Do you mean bursting them, as one doc said that would help, the other said it wouldnt. Have had so much conflicting info - one doc said wart stuff helps, the other said it makes no difference ( after i had spent money on it and dc had gone through the pain of it )

Howdydoody Sun 05-Aug-07 14:33:00

bump

CarGirl Sun 05-Aug-07 14:37:55

My gp told me that it is a sneaky virus that evades detection by the body's immune system but they tend to go when they get infected because it draws them to the attention of the immune system.

Dd got it, once confirmed by dr (about 4 weeks as at first thought it was manky excema) I let her scratch them and they went within a week! My friend scratched her dds off when she was asleep and again they went very quickly.

Yes it is contagious so if you let your dc scratch them then best to get them to wash their hands afterwards to stop spreading it to others and to other parts of their body - although I suspect if some do get infected eventually their body will get rid of it altogether however many crops of outbreak you get.

Howdydoody Sun 05-Aug-07 21:50:51

Thanks for that cargirl.I just cant get my head around letting her scratch them!

redtoenails Sun 05-Aug-07 21:54:33

I honestly believe there is no cure We tried lots of things and they are now finally going of their own accord after 2 long years!!
Watch very carefully for infection as a lot of ours became infected as they were bursting and needed antibiotics.
Good luck

Howdydoody Sun 05-Aug-07 22:04:03

redtoenails thats the annoying conclusion i think ive come to. Doc said it will take 2 years as well so it's interesting you said that time too.
Luckily DD is not feeling self conscious about them atm. Hope that lasts!

CarGirl Sun 05-Aug-07 22:07:11

dds best friend (whom I'm sure she caught them off) has had them for 3 years already...........

dds didn't get infected when she scratched them but it did make them go away but perhaps the longer you've had them the longer they will take to go away even if scratched IYSWIM?

alipiggie Sun 05-Aug-07 22:12:55

My ds2 got them and one got so seriously infected it's left a small scar like a chickenpox scar. But the rest I burst and got the white centre out (sorry if TMI). He was very brave and let me deal with them like that, they went in three weeks. Ds1 on the other hand had a few wouldn't let me deal with them, but he scratched one and the rest went in a couple of months.

herladyship Sun 05-Aug-07 22:19:48

i prepared myself for the two year timeframe when dd had this, aged 3..

they actually disapeared after about 8/9 months, and once they started to go they went within days! they seemed to sort of 'dry up and drop off'.. maybe dd had scratched a few, i'm not sure?

did lots of research and tried allsorts, but in the end nothing really seemed to make any difference..

no scars were left though, and looking back it seems so trivial but at the time i was stressed out and worried by the whole thing.

colander Sun 05-Aug-07 22:27:47

DD1 has this and it is just clearning up at the moment. She scratched a few and so did I and once the top was off they cleared up really quickly. One or two have left a small scar that I think will go - less obvious than her chicken pox scars anyway. I would avoid putting anything lotions or creams on them and just let them heal. Whole time from start to finish about 7 months.

Howdydoody Sun 05-Aug-07 22:55:14

Thanks for all the info. It's obviously the right thing for her to scratch as you are all saying the same thing.
Wish i'd asked here first instead of spending money on the useless wart stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now