Talk

Advanced search

I have improved my energy levels AND lost weight - please read!

(4 Posts)
MirandaGoshawk Wed 07-Aug-19 11:53:17

I read an article about Novak Jokovic being advised to give up wheat in order to increase his energy, so thought I would give it a go for a week. That was 7 weeks ago and the extra energy I feel has improved my life no end. For the first time, I don't want to nap in the afternoons. I can pull my belt in a notch, my stomach is flatter and even my rosacea has disappeared. I am getting up earlier. I have the energy to go running and to a dance class, which I had given up, which of course leads to feeling more wellbeing.

I am a sugar and chocolate fiend (possibly pre-diabetic) and of course bread, biscuits and the rest turn to sugar, so if you stick with slower-release carbs you don't get that sugar high, which is addictive. Cutting out wheat (almost - biscuits at friends' houses don't count wink ) has also somehow given me the willpower to (almost) cut out choc for the first time. I have to not buy the stuff though because I can't resist it if it's in the house.

So I still eat crackers made with oats, and I make my own muesli from oats and rice flakes (from a health food shop, nuts and seeds. I thought this would be difficult but it's not - replace wheat with rice, lots of veg, potatoes, chickpeas, nuts etc. For lunch I have a huge salad bowl with leftover rice and beans, then raw peppers, avocado, leaves, carrots, courgettes,, and then pomegranate seeds/ hummus/cheese/tahini/pumpkin seeds/herbs.

You can get pasta made with lentil flour ( I think - not wheat anyway.) Sains has a decent range.

I am not a skinny - have been 13 stone. This morning weighed in at under 60kg for the first time since forever. I look around me at people with tums and puffy faces - like me - and want to challenge them to give it a try for a week. If you feel fantastic you might be prepared to cut out toast and have the willpower to cut out cakes and pastries.

I honestly wonder how my life would have been different if I'd discovered this years ago.

OP’s posts: |
Mummy0ftwo12 Wed 07-Aug-19 19:54:58

interesting, do you think it was the sugar or the wheat that helped with the rosacea?

MirandaGoshawk Thu 08-Aug-19 09:18:49

No idea! I have noticed that alcohol makes it flare up but I've had it low-level for months, until recently. I had a glass of wine the other night and it was there again in the morning.

OP’s posts: |
Constance1234 Thu 08-Aug-19 09:27:25

I look around me at people with tums and puffy faces - like me - and want to challenge them to give it a try for a week

I feel the same - I've been gluten free for years due to an mild auto-immune condition, but it was giving up sugar and processed carbs, and eating using the 16:8 principles that has really made a difference to my skin and figure. Obviously I'd never give a stranger unsolicited advice, but when friends ask me how I have lost the weight, I have to stop myself from sounding too evangelical!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »