Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone had this?

(11 Posts)
lialiana Wed 07-Aug-19 11:29:47

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has experience of these sorts of symptoms, I feel bad bothering my GP with it:

Every so often (every few months maybe, sometimes more) I get bouts of nausea. I feel like I've got a stomach bug but not so bad that I throw up or get diarrhoea, I just feel like utter crap and it lasts for a couple of days. It doesn't have any obvious connection to what I'm eating or my period or anything. This time, it started with strong stomach pain but that's never happened before. I don't have any other symptoms, just nausea and a slight feeling of discomfort in my tummy now the pain (which only lasted a couple of hours) has gone. I can't stomach much food other than some toast.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

The only other thing I get is sometimes if I eat a meal heavy in red meat, it feels really hard to digest and can leave me feeling nauseous, but that usually goes away by the next morning and I can pinpoint it to a particular meal. This nausea that lasts for 2 days is different....

Any thoughts appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
Aquamarine1029 Wed 07-Aug-19 11:35:35

I'm thinking gallbladder issues.

lialiana Wed 07-Aug-19 11:37:27

Ok, that's interesting as my mum had gallbladder issues. Don't know if they're genetic....

Aquamarine1029 Wed 07-Aug-19 11:41:59

If it is your gallbladder, it doesn't necessarily mean you have stones. It could be a loss of functionality where your gallbladder is basically dying. This is what I had. My symptoms were identical to yours and got much worse over time, to the point I spent a year being constantly sick, vomiting, pain in my stomach, right side and upper back. Had it removed and was immediately back to normal.

BourbonAndTea Wed 07-Aug-19 11:44:15

I get exactly this.

I also have Crohn's, so have had a multitude of tests to rule that out as a cause.

Sadly, they've found nothing, and it just seems to be something I have to deal with.

You have my sympathy, it's horrible flowers

lialiana Wed 07-Aug-19 11:44:30

Hmm, ok. Might be worth me chatting to the GP then. Thank you!

lialiana Wed 07-Aug-19 11:48:00

@BourbonAndTea So sorry you've had no luck with finding a cause, you have my sympathy too flowers

HRH2020 Wed 07-Aug-19 16:16:45

I get this but attributed it to hormones as I am peri menopausal. Around 3-4 days before ovulation I feel sick and have stomach cramps (upper abdo) which usually go away after ovulation. I had 3 days off work with it last month it was grim.

AcrossthePond55 Wed 07-Aug-19 16:55:27

My guess would be gallbladder, Crohn's/IBS, or diverticulitis.

I'd see your GP, but I'd also start a detailed food diary. Everything that goes in your mouth with times and amounts eaten, and whether or not you felt ill that day, the symptoms, and when.

lialiana Wed 07-Aug-19 17:18:18

So, I've spoken to my GP and she thinks it's gastric inflammation which could be caused by any number of things, often a combination of small things. She's prescribed me 2 months of Omeprazole to give it a chance to heal, basically. She also suggested pro-biotics. So we'll see.

But I agree @AcrossthePond55 that a food diary would be a good idea.

shinynewapple Mon 12-Aug-19 08:20:05

Can I ask if you also feel really exhausted for a couple of days as if you have flu? I have something really similar, maybe 2-3 times per year, starts like I'm going to be sick, although I very rarely am actually sick but feelings of nausea and exhaustion over 2-3 days then it goes. I've had this around 10 years, it's so infrequent that to do a food diary would mean I was doing it permanently. I've been to GP a couple of times and they did some bloods but nothing came back.

It's only a couple if times a year but unless it happens over a weekend I have to take time off work .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »