Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Wheezy Baby

(8 Posts)
mamabear2b Thu 02-Aug-07 17:41:17

Hi, sorry if I'm repeating what anyone else has put on before I've looked thru past health topics but there are 500 to plough through!

My ds is 18wks old and over the past 2 days when playing on his tummy or playing in his chair with rattles etc he has started to wheeze and once or twice I've had to stop him playing and hold him until his breathing returms to normal. He sometimes goes a bit clammy too but doesn't seem ill or unhappy is this just normal exertion breathing like when we exercise?

Are all active babies like this?

chloesmumtoo Thu 02-Aug-07 18:05:16

Well our dd always rattled and was always called a wheezy baby by her doctors. She was later diagnosed as having asthma. Just bare it in mind when he gets a cold as this can make symtoms worse. You may later need an enhaler. You could always have a chat to your dr about it but they dont seem to like to acknoledge it at such an early age or thats what I found. My ds never wheezed as a baby and he has not got asthma like his sister. Just bare it in mind.

brimfull Thu 02-Aug-07 18:11:10

Could be he's just getting excited.Ds has asthma and it first came out as coughing,don't know if that's the same for little babies though.
I don't think you'd be wasting the GP's time by asking about it.

mamabear2b Thu 02-Aug-07 18:44:59

Thanks, We are due to go on holiday tomorrow so this is just typical..I was warned never to try to plan anything until they were 18!

Will see how he is through the night and see if I can get an appointment to check it out, didn't want to come across all paranoid, overbbearing mother especially if it's just exercise wheezing!

oneplusone Thu 02-Aug-07 18:47:39

He could be allergic to dairy, my DS is the same and he's on SMA LF which is lactose free and he's much better on it.

mamabear2b Thu 02-Aug-07 19:20:09

1+1 - forgot to mention that he's bf though he does occasionally have formula which he's had since 8 wks

Can an allergy develop a while after use?

oneplusone Thu 02-Aug-07 19:27:35

Do you drink milk yourself, it could be passing through the bm, not sure if it can. And an allergy can develop over time as my DS wasn't always like this, he was bf too for the first 4 months and he got quite bad when he was only on formula.

mamabear2b Thu 02-Aug-07 21:12:47

Sorry about the time lapse am in the middle of holiday packing frenzy - when will I ever learn to let go and let someone else do it?!!

Didn't realise little ones could react later I suppose he's had formula more often than he used to (about 1 bottle a day rather than every 3-4 days) so it might be that. Will try the SMA stuff thanks - back to the chaos of finding suitcases to fit in the boot!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now