Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low white count and platelets.

(8 Posts)
Angeliz Thu 02-Aug-07 13:20:22

Hi all.
Had a bit of a fright this weekend. I felt like crap and went to bed early and started shaking uncontrollably for about an hour. I am normally fit and well and have a high pain threshold and this scared me.
I waited another hour and then went to hospital.
They were worried about my temperature and heartrate. They did chest x-ray and checked me over and took blood and dosed me to the nines on painkillers.
They told me they had been worried about meningitis but no rash and i was too coherent to be that sick. They concluded, i think due to nothing else being apparnet, that it was a viral infection but that my white count was low.
I went to G.P today and have to go back on Monday for another blood test and she said my platelets were low too.
I know that it could happen because of infection so it's probably that. (trying not to read too many alternatives) but has anyone had this happen?

Angeliz Thu 02-Aug-07 20:47:22

bump just incase anyone with knowledge this evening

Angeliz Sat 04-Aug-07 13:45:18

last try

startouchedtrinity Sat 04-Aug-07 13:48:21

My dd2 kept consistently having a low white blood count. Turned out every single time she'd been tested she'd been fighting infection. This is the most likely cause.

Angeliz Sat 04-Aug-07 13:50:03

thanks trinity

noddyholder Sat 04-Aug-07 13:50:36

Usually the white count rises when there is infection in the body as the white cells are the infection fighters.Low platelets can be caused by some medicaations too

Angeliz Sat 04-Aug-07 13:55:59

I have started a contraceptive pill lately (2 weeks ago) could it be that?
I have been bleeding for the past week on it anyway! I'm loathe to take it but am trying to time my period to not coincide with my wedding day.

Angeliz Sat 04-Aug-07 13:56:33

I did mention to 2 nurses and the Doctor about the pill and they didn't think it was that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now