Talk

Advanced search

Any radiographers or docs about please? Can I have a missed fracture?

(1 Post)
Bumbag45 Sat 03-Aug-19 10:49:05

2 weeks ago today I twisted my ankle very badly. I did self care following RICE protocol straight away. The Tuesday morning things hadn’t improved so I visited A&E. My foot was so swollen it was almost numb in places, I could partially weight bear only.

Xrays were taken and showed an avulsion fracture of the inner ankle bone and torn ligaments over the outer bone.
I was placed in a walking boot and told to come back in 3 weeks.

The past 3 or 4 days the swelling has really started to come down so it’s looking a lot better, the most painful area is now over the metatarsals and it’s been red / darkly bruised.

It was difficult to really ascertain sources of pain just after I’d done it as my whole ankle felt like a bag of broken glass so I’m now wondering if I’ve fracture a metatarsal too. Would anyone know if ankle xrays would cover that area? If not and it is fractured is the treatment of the walking boot still the same?

I don’t want to bother going back up If all they’d have done is use a boot anyway. If I mention it at my next appointment in 10 days time will an X-ray show anything after this time? Any advice would be appreciated.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »