Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How many of you lot take supplements/fish oils etc, and what do you take and why?

(51 Posts)
littlelapin Wed 01-Aug-07 19:36:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JackieNo Wed 01-Aug-07 19:39:06

Magnesium-OK for PMS - seems to work, rather to my surprise.

Desiderata Wed 01-Aug-07 19:41:32

People are usually drawn towards a particular vitamin/supplement at a certain point in their lives. If you're not feeling that 'drawn', than you probably don't need anything right now.

Look out for food or drink that you crave. Sometimes the cravings are passing fancies, but just as in pregnancy, your bod is trying to tell you something. Do a little research, find out what's in the food you crave, and get a supplement that matches it.

Cod liver oil's probably a good thing to take on a daily basis. I've even heard that a spoonful of olive oil a day can help reduce the effects of osteoporosis in later life.

With regard to Omega 3 (for example), plenty of milk products, etc., already contain it.

HumphreysCorner Wed 01-Aug-07 19:42:13

I'm nearly 38 and take Boots multivitamins and Boots cod liver oil and evening primrose oil on the advice of my mum

HC
x

MegaLegs Wed 01-Aug-07 19:44:15

I am 38 and a half and I take multi vits as recommended by my HV and on the days I do remember to take them I do feel better, that is less tired and less stressed/grumpy.

littlelapin Wed 01-Aug-07 20:06:50

saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 01-Aug-07 20:11:24

I take iron, a multi-vit+mineral and codliver oil or glucosamine (depends on the budget).

lalaa Wed 01-Aug-07 20:12:11

I take the following to boost my immune system:
1000 mg Vit C
Co-enzyme Q10
Selenium
Tumeric

Calcium supplement to ward off osteoporosis (in my family and contraindicated in one of the prescribed drugs I take)

and acidophilus because I have to take a low dose of antibiotics quite regularly.

I had a cancer diagnosis nearly 2 years ago hence supplements.

I also count exercise as a supplement and try to make sure I do my 30 mins 3 times a week.

kamikayzed Wed 01-Aug-07 20:19:38

Desiderata Wed 01-Aug-07 20:36:08

The thing to remember about vitamins and supplements is that if you're body doesn't need them, you'll just piss them straight out again <pardon the vulgarity>. Taken to extremes, you can waste a large pile of money.

Generally speaking, a balanced diet will provide you with everything you need. If you experience a craving, that's when you need to do some investigating.

Lapin, if you've a craving for sugar, take up drink

kamikayzed Wed 01-Aug-07 20:43:30

kamikayzed Wed 01-Aug-07 20:45:53

littlelapin Wed 01-Aug-07 21:37:27

FrannyandZooey Wed 01-Aug-07 21:41:03

LL I take this and it is totally superb

if you feel the need for some extra zing, this will supply it

(ignore scary price, is fab, and lasts ages)

sorkycake Wed 01-Aug-07 21:52:42

I take a multi-vitamin & mineral (solgar prenatal atm as I'm still feeding, but usually Higher Nature products), 2g Vit C, 30mg zinc, 400mg Vitamin E, Chromium, Omega's and a separate antioxidant. When not pg/nursing I also take Aloe Vera juice. Everything else I try to get from specific food sources.

Kids take multi vit/min, separate calcium (we don't have dairy), vit C and an Eye Q capsule.

kamikayzed Thu 02-Aug-07 13:44:37

zippit Thu 02-Aug-07 14:14:50

I take

evening primrose oil with vitamin e
co enzyme q10
gingko biloba
vitamin c
lutein in ocuvite
flax seed oil
iron as spatone

but then I am 50 so have to try and fend off impending doom

zippit Thu 02-Aug-07 14:16:29

and green tea extract, knew there was something else

littlelapin Thu 02-Aug-07 14:54:36

noddyholder Thu 02-Aug-07 14:58:05

I take fish oil garlic high strength and co enzyme q10

littlelapin Thu 02-Aug-07 15:00:18

indiasmum Thu 02-Aug-07 15:13:48

agnus castus for my godawful PMS
sea kelp tablets for improving metabolism and growing my hair!
i eat generally quite well so dont feel the need for masses of supplements plus am rubbish at remembering to take things!

FrannyandZooey Thu 02-Aug-07 19:20:02

Kiki superfood is indeed marvellous and saved me when I was ill for about 3 weeks and couldn't get better

elder berry extract also superb for boosting immune system, but Kiki superfood is the dogs'

Furball Thu 02-Aug-07 19:26:55

boots multi-vit and fish oil and so does ds every morning.

Highlander Thu 02-Aug-07 19:57:26

nothing, as none of these vits/oils etc have ever been proven to be beneficial to health. NICE no longer recommends vitamin supplements during pregnancy either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now