Talk

Advanced search

Acid reflux

(9 Posts)
WhenDoISleep Thu 01-Aug-19 12:16:44

Recently I have begun experiencing acid reflux on a daily basis. Also, I seems to be burping a lot. The reflux normally starts after breakfast. I'm taking ranitidine bought OTC but wondered if there is anything else people can advise I do.

My weight is a big contributor - when I lost weight last year the issue completely disappeared. Unfortunately I put weight on again earlier this year - I am working on losing it again but this is obviously a longer term solution. I'm at the point where I think I have to stop drinking anything but water as everything I drink seems to exacerbate it.

OP’s posts: |
Egghead68 Thu 01-Aug-19 12:54:00

You might have a hiatus hernia.

Lots of types of medication available. pPIs like Lansoprazole are the strongest but have side-effects.

Eat small frequent meals. Avoid trigger foods such as citrus fruits. Don’t eat within 3 hours of bed. Sleep with your head raised. Lose weight and stop smoking (if applicable).

HTH - it can be extremely uncomfortable.

Egghead68 Thu 01-Aug-19 12:55:43

P.s. be wary of letting them do an endoscopy to explore the causes - they are awful and are unlikely to alter the clinical management.

Thecabbageassasin Thu 01-Aug-19 13:04:02

Cut out the carbs, especially bread and pastries.
Cut out sugar.
I like to take a more alternative approach to healthcare, which I appreciate isn't for everyone, but there is an argument that as we get older that the acid in out stomachs declines and it is this that causes the reflux and you need to look at healing your gut to correct this.
I have experienced awful reflux that made me very ill. Acid suppressants made me worse and I found the only thing that really helped was cutting out the above (carbs and sugar) and looking to heal my body through a healthy diet. Its shit not being able to eat what you want, but nothing else worked for me.

NanTheWiser Thu 01-Aug-19 15:27:56

I agree with Thecabbageassassin, carbs are the worst for acid reflux - e.g. bread, potatoes, rice and pasta and all baked goods. I'm 72 and suffered terribly with reflux, until I changed the way I ate. Remarkable difference! And as a bonus, you lose weight too.

onedayiwillmissthis Thu 01-Aug-19 15:50:50

Agree with pp (thecabbageassassin) cutting all carbs cured my reflux.

Low stomach acid can reduce the ability of the lower oesophageal valve to close tightly and prevent stomach contents 'spilling' up out of stomach so you could also try, apple cider vinegar or HCL/betaine supplements to increase stomach acid.

PPI's have many side effects and are not supposed to be used long term. Reduction in stomach acid means decreased nutrient absorption and an increased risk of food poisoning.

Seaweed42 Thu 01-Aug-19 16:20:05

Go to the GP and get their advice.

Egghead68 Thu 01-Aug-19 17:43:08

www.nhs.uk/conditions/heartburn-and-acid-reflux/

WhenDoISleep Thu 01-Aug-19 18:27:35

Thanks for all the advice. I’m hoping to lose weight over the summer holidays and if it still bad at the end of them will get a GP appt (as have no childcare for DC and prefer not to take them with me).

As a pp said, at least if I’m cutting out some of the worst trigger foods hopefully it should help with weight loss.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »