Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How do I give juice to my 10 weeks old DD...

(63 Posts)
quiveutmabonnebaguette Wed 01-Aug-07 13:28:52

She has chicken pox and my gp told me to give her some juice to keep her hydrated. She's exclusively breastfed so how do I give her juice and what quantities and what frequenty ?? Please need your advice !!

eidsvold Wed 01-Aug-07 13:30:13

i would just keep up the breastfeeding. Let her feed little and often if that is all she will take.

Your breast milk will keep her hydrated - no need for juice.

missgriss Wed 01-Aug-07 13:30:35

I wouldn't give juice to a 10 week old. I'm really surprised your GP told you to as well. BF should be enough

JeremyVile Wed 01-Aug-07 13:31:33

I would have thought that water would do the job, but i wont argue with a Doctor!

Personally i'd make it very weak 10 parts water to 1 part juice and just offer it periodically.

Skyler Wed 01-Aug-07 13:31:38

You don't need to give her juice at all. What silly advice IMO.
Just feed her as much as she wants. She will get what she needs from your milk and all those fab antibodies etc to help her get better.
Good Luck.

NAB3 Wed 01-Aug-07 13:32:07

She is too young for juice!! BF her on demand.

ruddynorah Wed 01-Aug-07 13:32:10

good god stupid GP!! keep up the bfing, no need for juice at all what so ever! i'm not surprised GP said this, most hae had very very little bf training other than their own experience if they/their wife has bf, and even then they may know terribly little.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 01-Aug-07 13:32:45

DONT GIVE HER JUICE!!!!!

Breastmilk is the perfect thing for rehydrating a baby!!!!! Just keep breastfeeding, and perhaps feed more frequently.

Norty NORTY GP

JeremyVile Wed 01-Aug-07 13:32:48

Is she feeding less?

fizzylemonade Wed 01-Aug-07 13:33:01

I thought it was only formula fed babies that this may apply to. BF babies get everything they need from you, including being hydrated.

As long as she feeds she wil be hydrated.

Anonymama Wed 01-Aug-07 13:33:48

Do not have a medical background, but think you should contact an organisation like the Association of Breastfeeding Mothers or similar, for advice. As far as I am aware, if you are breastfeeding, your milk supply will increase if you offer both breasts to you baby frequently. If she is ill and thirsty, she should suckle and this should increase your supply. By offering her juice (!) or other liquid, presumably via a bottle, you may encourage her to wean from the breast. As your breastmilk will contain antibodies for chickenpox (assuming you've had it in the past), I would imagine that your milk will be best for your baby at this time. Also in warmer weather your breastmilk thins out and is more watery, offering more of a "drink" to your baby.

http://www.kellymom.com is an excellent website that may well have advice for nursing mothers of sick babies. If I find anything else on line I'll copy the link to you.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Anonymama Wed 01-Aug-07 13:35:39

PS Have to add, by means of encouragement, that fed DS for 11mths, and he fended off all illnesses. As soon as he was off the tit he had D&V, colds etc. He was breastfed exclusively through last summer's heatwave and survived without a drop of H20. Have confidence in your boobs!!

Anonymama Wed 01-Aug-07 13:37:25

Check this out.
http://www.kellymom.com/health/illness/baby-illness.html

hellish Wed 01-Aug-07 13:38:53

I wouldn't offer juice at this age - probably go down her chin anyway. BF as often as she wants is much better - has the added 'cuddle' too. Hope she feels better soon.

Afterthought - if you really want to follow GP advice, you could try a medicine syringe.

NAB3 Wed 01-Aug-07 13:39:16

Juice is too soon for a 10 week old child, however they are fed!!!

Pannacotta Wed 01-Aug-07 13:55:50

Agree with the others, 10 weeks is way too young for juice and breast milk is what your DD needs, as much as she wants.
Am v surpirsed your GP told you this.

quiveutmabonnebaguette Wed 01-Aug-07 13:57:44

Thank you for all your replies ! I was really surprised when he told me I could give her orange juice but the worst : he has told me to give her lemonade, well flat lemonade..he said it was ok as she hasn't got teeth.

clumsymum Wed 01-Aug-07 14:02:20

Blimey if the child needs hydrating at all, she needs WATER (boiled then cooled), but probably not even that. I say this only because a few years ago sometimes mothers were advised to give babies water like this in very hot weather.

Did the GP say this to your face, or was this over the phone? could GP have thought 10 months rather than 10 weeks?

I would stick with extra feeds, ring and ask for the advise again if you are in any doubt

NAB3 Wed 01-Aug-07 14:03:33

Let's rot the teeth before they come through then! Change GPs.
My old one told me to wean mine on to what ever I was having for dinner that night. Agreed, even when I told him we were having curry...

franch Wed 01-Aug-07 14:05:00

LEMONADE!!!!! At 10 weeks!!!!

I was shocked enough by the juice!

quiveutmabonnebaguette Wed 01-Aug-07 14:06:18

I went to my gp this morning and he had a look at dd, I told him I tought it was bizarre to give juice to such a young child. He says no that it was ok, my jaw dropped when he told me about the flat lemonade

LaBoheme Wed 01-Aug-07 14:13:42

surely not..... I would just give a little boiled water

potoroo Wed 01-Aug-07 14:14:16

Just keep BF - your body will adjust if DD needs more water and produce more milk with higher water quantity.

Juice and lemonade completely unnecessaru.

Budababe Wed 01-Aug-07 14:14:34

Just go straight onto Fruit Shoots! (Joke!)

Yes ill children need to be kept hydrated.

No baby needs juice or lemonade whether formula fed or BF.

How old is the GP? Sounds very old school.

quiveutmabonnebaguette Wed 01-Aug-07 14:16:18

Thank you ! For what I take from your answer, I'm only going to breastfeed her and if I feel she needs more, I'll give her some evian or boiled water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now