Talk

Advanced search

Discharge after swimming

(13 Posts)
Helpmeeeeplease Fri 26-Jul-19 14:32:42

NC as slightly embarrassing.

I went swimming yesterday both in the sea and then in the pool at our hotel (in the UK). When I was getting ready for bed I realized that I had a greenish watery discharge. There's no smell but my labia are incredibly itchy and it has continued today.

Has anyone else had this before? Is it something I can treat with an over the counter medicine or should I see my GP?

OP’s posts: |
Seaweed42 Fri 26-Jul-19 17:55:48

Chlorine in pools can cause thrush so try Canesten cream.

littlepeaegg Fri 26-Jul-19 17:57:41

The greenish colour would concern me

JinglingHellsBells Sat 27-Jul-19 07:16:24

Isn't this trichomoniasis? Or BV? @Helpmeeeeplease

Look up green discharge. It's def not thrush as that is a white curdy discharge and it's not caused by swimming pools or the sea.

However, it's unlikely it could happen so soon after being in a pool. I reckon you had it all along and the water when you went swimming simply helped to swish it out. You can buy stuff over the counter for BV but you need to see a dr if it's trich.

JinglingHellsBells Sat 27-Jul-19 07:18:56

www.nhs.uk/conditions/bacterial-vaginosis/

www.nhs.uk/conditions/trichomoniasis/

Helpmeeeeplease Sat 27-Jul-19 09:32:43

Thank you all. I was able to get a Dr appointment for this morning and have been prescribed a thrush treatment. It was the colour that concerned me too but I'm not sure it could be trich as I've read your link and it's passed on through unprotected sex and my only sexual partner has been my DH for many years.

Although I'm not very confident with the Dr's opinion as he had no idea and was just looking up my symptoms on the NHS website sad

JinglingHellsBells Sat 27-Jul-19 10:41:18

what a plonker- your GP! God, some of them are useless. he should have taken a swab.

I doubt it is thrush.

It's more likely to be BV as this can be caused by a change in vaginal pH and the sea/ bath water might have affected it. Not sure where you swam in the sea but sadly there are issues with untreated sewage on some beaches.

Get yourself some BV treatment from a chemist- it's on the same shelves as treatment for thrush.

JinglingHellsBells Sat 27-Jul-19 10:45:57

@Helpmeeeeplease that NHS link for BV is a bit out of date. BV is not just an STD- it can affect celibate women as it's down to a change in vaginal bacteria.

This might help and you can buy a test.

www.canesten.co.uk/en/female/symptoms/bacterial-vaginosis/symptoms/

Helpmeeeeplease Sat 27-Jul-19 10:46:40

He was so useless! He didn't take a look or anything, he just typed in my symptoms.

I've already taken the single pill for the thrush treatment, do you think I will I be able to use a BV treatment too?

Helpmeeeeplease Sat 27-Jul-19 10:49:09

Thank you, I feel like going back to see a different Dr. BV seems to say that there should be an unpleasant smell, but I don't have that. I'm so confused and the itching is driving me mad sad

Somethingsosimple Sat 27-Jul-19 10:56:51

@helpmeeeplease I had thrush so severely when pregnant that I had green discharge. The nurse made feel awful and said it can’t possibly be thrush and said it must be a nasty bacterial infection. Consultant called me later and told me it was just thrush that had got very severe.

Helpmeeeeplease Sat 27-Jul-19 11:09:03

@Somethingsosimple how awful of her to make you feel like that. Maybe that's what I have too then, he said it takes up to 2 days for the pill to work so it's probably a case of wait and see.

JinglingHellsBells Sat 27-Jul-19 11:28:10

I'd buy the test by Canestan and take it from there depending on what it shows. The oral treatment for thrush should not interfere with any treatment you may need vaginally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »