Talk

Advanced search

Walk In NHS Centre - Alternative Service - Wound Dressing

(11 Posts)
whoknows2017 Thu 25-Jul-19 19:06:20

I am wondering if anyone can advise me....

I currently have my wound dressed daily and my Doctors Surgery is closed at weekend. This means that I have to go to the local Walk In Centre and wait for approx 2 hours both on Saturday and Sunday waiting to be seen.

Does anyone know of a service (willing to pay) that offers this service. I have tried a few local private hospital but no-one seems to do wound dressings.

Can anyone offer me a solution ??

OP’s posts: |
Chinnychinnychinnychib Thu 25-Jul-19 20:28:27

Where are you based?

BryanAdamsLeftAnkle Thu 25-Jul-19 21:02:47

Where are you based? I am a student nurse and do a huge amount of wound dressings. Are you known to district nurses? Practice nurses in our area put patients with daily dressing changes to the weekend service run by District nurses.

whoknows2017 Thu 25-Jul-19 21:42:38

I'm based in the Reading area...

I have had the District Nurses in originally but they have now "handed me over" to the local Surgery...

LIZS Thu 25-Jul-19 21:44:25

Can pharmacist suggest anywhere else?

PeoniesarePink Thu 25-Jul-19 21:56:51

A family friend had this recently with an antibiotic drip she needed daily. Practice nurses visited her during the week but at weekends, she had to go into the main hospital and literally sit and wait in the OOH unit. She was there 7 hours on one occasion.

Can you ask them to leave you the dressings and do it yourself?

OneHanded Thu 25-Jul-19 22:01:58

Hi op I have a nurse dressed wound that’s twice weekly but one of the days falls on bank holidays; for this my nurse supplies the dressings, sterile kit, etc and family assist. Is this an option?

whoknows2017 Thu 25-Jul-19 22:40:21

I would BUT - it is in a awkward place on my side and still very "weepy" - so that it needs packing...... not sure whether I would trust a family member

I am also terrified of getting it infected as I was delayed discharge from hospital due to picking up two infections.

Shame it seems like there is a great opportunity somewhere for someone to pick up these minor conditions.

I feel such a fraud sitting in the walk centre when there are people coming in (mostly with small children) with more serious ailments than mine.

Riddlediddle Thu 25-Jul-19 22:44:21

I know that our local Boots run a wound dressing clinic in their main city centre store here . Maybe worth exploring?

whoknows2017 Fri 26-Jul-19 11:09:45

...tried ringing the main Boots telephone number to enquire about this service and they didn't seem to know anything about it...

Looks like I will be spending my weekend in the Walk In Centre...

NoBaggyPants Fri 26-Jul-19 11:13:02

If you call an agency they'll be able to arrange a nurse to do this. It won't be cheap though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »