Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Whats best for a sore throat,

(19 Posts)
Flower3554 Tue 31-Jul-07 09:56:15

I had a cough and cold all last week, the cough has made my throat really sore. It seems worse when I wake up and although the cough and cold are more or less gone my throat is so painful.

I can eat ok if a little warily but its swallowing thats difficult.

Any suggestions anyone

notnowbernard Tue 31-Jul-07 09:59:57

A cup of hot water with honey and lemon. Very soothing.
Ibuprofen and Paracetamol, taken alternately (i.e ibuprofen now, paracetamol two hours lateretc.)

MellowMa Tue 31-Jul-07 10:01:47

Message withdrawn

southeastastra Tue 31-Jul-07 10:04:16

i've got the dreaded cough and cold too. i find gargelling with oral b mouthwash quite effectve (it stings so i know it's working) or salt water

Elibean Tue 31-Jul-07 10:18:49

Big spoonful of neat Manuka honey. And, gargling with dissolved aspirin (you need to make it strong: a full strength aspirin in a couple of mouthfulls of water). Hold it in your throat as long as you can, head tipped back and slooshing it around for as long as possible - it reduces the inflammation and numbs your throat at the same time. Then spit it out! Especially helpful just before eating, found I could eat normally a few minutes later - and lasts a whole meal

I had a knife-like throat a few weeks ago, and both helped a lot. Get well soon!

Biglips Tue 31-Jul-07 10:21:35

The "Ultra Chloraseptic Anaesthetic throat spray" it numbs your throat and really works plus i gargle with "Dentyl" mouthwash - it bloody kills but it really works

Flower3554 Tue 31-Jul-07 10:23:48

Thank you, wow which one to try first.

Biglips Tue 31-Jul-07 10:25:30

mine mine mine!!!!!

Twinkie1 Tue 31-Jul-07 10:26:15

If the inflamation is in your throat and you think you have nasty bacteria breeding down there gargle with a solution of 1 part hydrogen peroxide to 3 parts water - do not swallow! It oxidises the bacteria so you will get a nasty foam substance coming of your throat which tastes worse than anything you have ever tasted in your life and you have to spit out but I guarantee you that your throat will be back to normal within a few hours!

TrinaJ Tue 31-Jul-07 10:28:09

I agree with the ultra chloraseptic antiseptic throat spray - wonderful stuff. I used to suffer from tonsilitis alot and it was the only thing that worked for me.
I used it before eating then managed to eat fine.

HonoriaGlossop Tue 31-Jul-07 10:37:55

I've had lots of sore throats; I gargle with TCP, and also second that suggestion for soluble aspirin; gargle with that too. These are the things that I've found are genuinely effective.

Flower3554 Tue 31-Jul-07 10:41:21

Of all the suggestions the one I've just tried, simply because it was the only remedy I actually have in at the moment, was the soluble aspirin gargling.

Just texted DD2 and asked her to get me some of the spray recommended as well.

Can you really put hydrogen peroxide in your mouth Twinkie, sounds dangerous

youpeskykids Tue 31-Jul-07 10:49:08

I won't tell you what my DH suggests is good for a sore throat - suffice to say, it has no medicinal properties whatsoever......

Leati Tue 31-Jul-07 11:02:13

Here are some good suggestions

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/healthconditionsdisease/a/sore_throat.htm

mosschops30 Tue 31-Jul-07 11:03:29

Tesco's own blackcurrent throat sweets are medically proven to help sore throat. They are a third of the price of strepsils and work better, I always have a couple of boxes to hand

RBH Tue 31-Jul-07 11:05:41

Slippery elm is really good but tastes absolutely disgusting.

Twinkie1 Tue 31-Jul-07 12:41:45

Yes of course - you have to dilute it but it works - spent 10 years trying to get them to tale my tonsils out because am allergic to antibiotocs and only thing that I could use in the end that made a blind bit of difference!

Cappuccino Tue 31-Jul-07 12:43:28

chocolate

ice cream

chocolate ice cream

littleboo Tue 31-Jul-07 17:53:38

Difflam mouth rinse and tyrozet lozengers
Oh plus normal paracetamol 4-6 hourly and ibuprofen 6-8 hourly in between if needed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: