Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

TMI I know but I cant poop!

(69 Posts)
kimi Mon 30-Jul-07 21:13:51

I have not been properly for 11 days, I look pregnant, I am in pain, and I have taken senna.
Any advice????

LIZS Mon 30-Jul-07 21:19:02

Probiotics - yoghurt, supplements etc - and lots of water.

MrsDoolittle Mon 30-Jul-07 21:21:13

Drink, drink, drink, drink, lots of water.
Oranges, probiotic yoghurt.

11 days is a long time though

Hassled Mon 30-Jul-07 21:22:35

I should see your GP - that's way too long.

3Ddonut Mon 30-Jul-07 21:23:10

Go to the GP, 11 days is too long and senna obviously not working. GP will have seen a million constipation cases in his/her time and will probably be releived to treat something simple.

To save this again, take senna with lactulose or try fybogel or bisocodyl. (ask pharmacist)

TheArmadillo Mon 30-Jul-07 21:23:12

go to your gp if it has been that long, really.

Sparkletastic Mon 30-Jul-07 21:23:21

Another vote for GP - try Lactulose solution in the meanwhile...

LucyJones Mon 30-Jul-07 21:23:25

Yes agree with the others. You probably need an enema.

Magicmayhem Mon 30-Jul-07 21:23:32

glycerine suppositories works in minutes and you can get them from the chemist... from one that knows

FrannyandZooey Mon 30-Jul-07 21:23:52

jesus god, what have you been eating?

Have you tried lactulose? I can't remember the brand name. It usually works quite fast and is fairly gentle. Although maybe something a little harsher might be better in this case

Magicmayhem Mon 30-Jul-07 21:25:07

Lactulose will soften your poo but won't work instantly... but get some so this doesn't happen again.

Desiderata Mon 30-Jul-07 21:27:10

You need to do something vaguely CHEMICAL right now.

But you must have an underlying problem to get this bad. Beetroot is one of nature's great laxatives. I don't care if you don't like it, but either buy it fresh (and boil it for hours), or buy pickled in a jar and eat some EVERY DAY.

Good God, girl. I am ouching for you

MuminBrum Mon 30-Jul-07 21:27:59

A double espresso and a cigarette. Seriously, this will shift almost anything!

kimi Mon 30-Jul-07 21:30:24

Thank you all, I really did not want to bother the GP but I think I have to now.

I drink tons of water, eat loads of fruit and fibre, the first few days I thought it was cause we had been to Greece and maybe I had not eaten s well as I should of done, but I have not had a proper motion (little rabbit droppings [blush) and I am so uncomfortable now.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 30-Jul-07 21:31:29

If you need something stronger you could try picolax. Not sure if you can get it over the counter though. It works quite quickly and should 'clear you out' or movicol which isn't quite so fast acting. Trip to GP for you I think.

<<whispers....I did once go 14 days without 'going'>>

moondog Mon 30-Jul-07 21:31:45

<guffaw> at double espresso and ciggie
So true

Poor you Kimi

Eleven days without a crap is bad news.

MuminBrum Mon 30-Jul-07 21:35:11

Oh god, not picolax, it's like having a tactical nuclear device up your bottom!

kimi Mon 30-Jul-07 21:36:13

I will call the GP first thing, I went in to boots and saw the pharmacist, she suggested the senna.
I am so embarrassed, and I have really smelly wind .
This has never happened before, I go everyday.

Desiderata Mon 30-Jul-07 21:37:14

<that would adequately explain why I've never had a problem crapping>

saggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 30-Jul-07 21:37:20

Yes MuminBrum it is

CatIsSleepy Mon 30-Jul-07 21:40:57

oh god you poor thing-that must be so uncomfortable. When I was constipated due to taking iron tablets I found dried apricots and lots of water did the job (almost too effectively!). But I agree in this case chemical intervention is probably required...

kimi Mon 30-Jul-07 21:45:12

DP did offer to get the plunger from under the sink!! why are men sooooooo helpful??

madamez Mon 30-Jul-07 21:50:42

Two pints of scrumpy, a vindaloo and two cigarettes... But do see your GP because it sounds miserably uncomfortable.

chonky Mon 30-Jul-07 21:58:28

Poor you kimi. I'd go and see the GP, but as a precaution for the future try Regucol (you can buy it in Holland & Barrett) - which is psyllium husk and does what it says on the tin

kimi Mon 30-Jul-07 21:58:47

So far today I have eaten 12 bits of fruit and drank at least 2LTs of water, Fruit has sent my blood sugar up but nothing down

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now