Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Tonsillitis - how long can it go on - DS1 had it for 11 days with high temps and no sign of recovery

(41 Posts)
hunkermunker Mon 30-Jul-07 20:27:20

He's on his second lot of antibiotics.

He's needed nurofen and calpol every day to keep his temperature under 40. I do understand the need for the body to fight infection with temperature, but over 40 is ridiculous, surely?

He's been to the doctor three times (once today).

He won't tell me where it hurts and is ridiculously brave, even when clearly in a lot of pain.

And he's barely eaten today.

Anyone else had a child ill this long with tonsillitis? He had such a world-weary look when I gave him some medicine this evening. He's only 3

Aimsmum Mon 30-Jul-07 20:37:22

Message withdrawn

hunkermunker Mon 30-Jul-07 20:47:55

Hiya Aimsmum - poor DD - yes, the bravery breaks my heart. DS1 said his bones were sick last weekend (think his legs felt v weak) and he's been saying "This medicine's too nasty for this boy" but taking it anyway

The first lot was penicillin - phenoxymethylpenicillin, iirc. This lot is Cefalixin.

DrNortherner Mon 30-Jul-07 20:49:49

Persist with GP though Hunks. Antib's should eb working by now. A while back I had tonsilitis and could not shift it, turn out it had develeoped into Quincy's and I was admitted to hospital on a drip for 48 hours. Not nice.

Hope he gets well soon.

hunkermunker Mon 30-Jul-07 20:59:17

DrN, that's what I'm worried about - poor you, must have been foul I used to get tonsillitis really badly when I was little (still prone to throaty things when run down now) and know how foul they can be.

The GP today said his glands were down from what they had been (they were visibly swollen on Friday) and that he looked as if he just had big tonsils rather than them being horribly swollen. They've still got the white yuck on them, but the GP said that could persist as well, even after he's well.

Then he was SO unhappy this afternoon - he had a sleep, but before that, he looked grey and he was shivering - I lay with him for a while till the paracetamol kicked in and he his temperature had dropped again.

Then when he woke up he was miserable again. He's still awake and eating twiglets(!) but he was like this yesterday and still awake twice, very unhappy, in the night.

Aimsmum Mon 30-Jul-07 21:12:35

Message withdrawn

hunkermunker Mon 30-Jul-07 21:20:49

Aw, I know, Aimsmum - he's an eccentric little chap. Pasta was apparently "wrong for this little boy" too

Second lot of antibiotics first given on Friday evening, so has been 10 doses now. They said it could take 48 hours to get into his system and start working.

The out of hours was the first doctor I went to. I also spoke to a doctor there on Saturday night when his temp was 40.4 and didn't come down for two hours, despite calpol and nurofen.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 30-Jul-07 22:17:24

Awww bless him - he sounds like such a little hero hunker. I guess that just like in adults, some antibiotics work better than others. I go through phases of getting lots of ear infections, and there are at least 3 types of anti-b's that do nothing for me, so do keep going back if there's no sign of improvement. I now ask the GP as he's prescribing how long I should leave it before I come back for the next lot to try .

tassisssss Mon 30-Jul-07 22:20:09

sympathy...it's grim

i'm on day 6 and almost better

BUT i've been in bed more than i was when i had dd!

hunkermunker Mon 30-Jul-07 23:01:11

CSWS, I ask that too - am seasoned pro when it comes to ear infections and throat infections myself He is a little hero - I'm sure I'd be far more irritable than he is in his shoes.

Tassisssss - glad you're on the mend - it's vile, isn't it?

BBBee Mon 30-Jul-07 23:04:44

horrid

horrid horrid horrid

had similiar thing with ds last year- ear infection that went on and on and on.

He still mentions it sometimes - we read the lion the withc and the wardrobe and it was good because it stoppe dhim 'listening to the thumping pain'.

Hope he feels better soon hunker.

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 30-Jul-07 23:05:32

oh poor little thing. He is such a sweet little thing.

Wish I could make some magical suggestion that would work.

StarryStarryNight Mon 30-Jul-07 23:08:25

You sure it is tonsillities?
If he is in pain, and he is on nurofen and calpol, and antibiotics dont work, (they ususally do within 48 hours) I would take him down A&E frankly.

Could be a burst appendix?

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 30-Jul-07 23:10:05

A burst appendix? How?

elastamum Mon 30-Jul-07 23:10:56

Poor little thing. IMO if he has the right antibiotics and it is indeed bacterial infection he should be getting better by now. Ask GP to send a throat swab to microbiology to see what the bug is as it sounds resistant to whatever they are prescribing

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 30-Jul-07 23:12:35

A burst appendix? <confused>

StarryStarryNight Mon 30-Jul-07 23:13:56

His temperature is high. He is in pain. Both this despite nurofen and calpol.

I might be wrong, but from the description he sounded like my 4 year old did when he suddenly needed an emergency appendectomy.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 30-Jul-07 23:15:31

But what about the swollen glands/tonsils and white puss? Or do you mean a burst appendix as well as tonsillitus?

StarryStarryNight Mon 30-Jul-07 23:16:04

look I am no doctor, forget it.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 30-Jul-07 23:17:10

Genuine question - don't get all touchy on me .

StarryStarryNight Mon 30-Jul-07 23:21:31

no sorry, i should not have said something at all, I am no doctor. Just too much experience with tonsillitis and antibiotics as my oldest gets tonsillitis 6-8 times a year. it is just that it is so unusual to have a white goo bacterial infection of the tonsils and pencilling V not taking it. It is not like he is so old he has resistance to antibiotics. And from the original description of him, he sounded like when my boy needed an appendectomy. Sorry again. forget what I am saying.

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 30-Jul-07 23:24:44

at 6-8 times a year. Will they not remove them Starry?

VeniVidiVickiQV Mon 30-Jul-07 23:26:21

They never removed mine despite getting it that much. Apparently the risk of the op isnt worth it compared to the "mild" discomfort of tonsilitis

CantSleepWontSleep Mon 30-Jul-07 23:26:47

StarryStarryNight Mon 30-Jul-07 23:29:49

We have an apt with ENT in September for him. They dont usually do this ops anymore. It is only if there are other effects on the child rather than only the tonsillitis. In my sons case he is not growing as much as he should, because he stops eating. He will not eat well for a month around a bout of tonsillitis, as his throat hurts prior to it, then during it, and then he is nauseaus from antibiotics, and only when the antibiotics are well out of his system will he regain his apetite, then we have a few weeks of eating well, and another tonsillitis. And he has started wanting to weigh himself every morning, as he sees the other boys in his class getting bigger than him, so he is getting weight issues too. So sad for him.

Sorry for thread hijack.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: