Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

taking the older DS's and myself off to the dentist this afternoon - and I'm terrified!"

(12 Posts)
TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 30-Jul-07 11:30:49

Trying to put on a brave face for them as it's their first visit . But I know I've got cr*p teeth - have done for as long as I can remember - and I'm terrified of dentists and needles.

I REALLY want to get my teeth sorted out as I hate smiling knowing what people then see.....and as my maternity expention certificate thingy doesn't expire until next June I've got plenty of time to get stuff done - but I'm scared

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 30-Jul-07 12:15:48

I don't want to go

southeastastra Mon 30-Jul-07 12:17:29

now's the time to go then if you can get treatment free

themoon66 Mon 30-Jul-07 12:36:12

I feel for you QoQ... I know the free treatment is probably no temptation to go either.

Poor you. Fear is a horrible thing.

Have you thought about hypnotherapy to get over your phobia?

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 30-Jul-07 13:18:23

nope free treatment no temptation either...

You'd think after having 3 babies I'd be over my needle phobia wouldn't you -but I'm not - and added to the dentist phobia.....!

Anyhow - can't get out of it - DH has taken the day off so will know if I don't go.

themoon66 Mon 30-Jul-07 13:20:04

Is the appointment just for the LOs, or all of you?

Can you not just sit and hold their hands, and do an impression of confidence and bravery, without having to actually sit in the chair with...... someone looking into your open mouth <<<shudder>>>>

OrmIrian Mon 30-Jul-07 13:20:33

I have every sympathy! I hate going to the dentist. And it doesn't help that DS#1 has poor teeth too so dreads going as much as I do. I am so busy trying to jolly him along that I'm in a real state when we get there.

Good luck.

TheQueenOfQuotes Mon 30-Jul-07 13:38:23

it's for all 3 of us - we were registered with a dentist but he was cr*p and didn't make me feel at all at ease, and even DH (who's pretty easy going) wasn't impressed with him. Lovely neighbour across the street works at the dentists we're going to this afternoon and got forms for us to register with them. So this is our first visit to them

southeastastra Tue 31-Jul-07 09:40:22

how did it go?

TheQueenOfQuotes Tue 31-Jul-07 10:37:53

It was ok - managed to keep the brave face on in front of them and the dentist then ushered them along to play with the toys while having a prod and poke at my teeth so they didn't see my looks of terror lol - their teeth are absolutely fine.

I (as I already knew ) need work doing - I've got some roots left from when I had some teeth removed several years ago - and they need to come out (I already knew that as when the dentist I was seeing then took the teeth out he said there was a lot of root left and they would have to come out at some point in the future), and a few fillings needed too (actually don't know why I'm blushing - we never had fizzy drinks and sweets as children and my mum was meticulous about us brushing our teeth twice a day - but I still needed fillings as a child ).

They apparently like to get as much done as possible in one visit (which I suppose is better than having to keep going back lol) and I've got another appointment for the 7th of September............

Oh and according to the dentist I "officialy have a small mouth" (trying to take the x-rays of my teeth)

southeastastra Tue 31-Jul-07 12:42:15

ouch! but imagine how good you'll feel once it's all sorted.

TheQueenOfQuotes Tue 31-Jul-07 12:47:37

I know I'm trying to look at the positive side..........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now