Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

OK-So tomorrow I am having "Foam Sclerotherapy" on my varicose veins!

(16 Posts)
OhFark Sun 29-Jul-07 22:10:38

So-Summer will undoubtedly start the minute ht bandages and stockings are in palce (for three farkin weeks).
Not looking forward to it at all but has to be better than gen anaesthetic adnd stripping the damnt things out!

bubblepop Sun 29-Jul-07 22:13:44

ooh good luck! ive had laser treatment on mine, wos only brave enough to get 1 leg done!

CantSleepWontSleep Sun 29-Jul-07 22:15:03

Assume you are who I think you are. Best of luck with it. Sounds like such fun .

OhFark Sun 29-Jul-07 22:15:07

Had lasers for minor thread veins but the big bugger sneed serious battering!!

OhFark Sun 29-Jul-07 22:16:20

Thanks CSWS_will be in touch re this week-having all sorts of weird email probs this wek plus work hassles-soon to be completely resolved I hope!

newlifenewname Sun 29-Jul-07 22:17:23

aha i'm interested to hear more. I have gross, gross varicose veins across one calf. I have had them for 10 years and only wear long skirts and trousers now.
The thought of vein stripping freaks me out. How does this work?

Best of luck though

themoon66 Sun 29-Jul-07 22:18:18

What is 'foam sclerotherapy'? I noticed a little vein sticking out on my shin the other day.... think I must start the research now.

OhFark Mon 30-Jul-07 08:53:39

Newlife-will tell you more later when it has been done.
Apparently only good for large veins-they string your leg up then inject foam (cavity wall insulation?)into the vein guided by ultrasound.
You then wear bandages and a tight stocking for three weeks and apparently they eventually disappear....well we will see.

Bloody typical it is sunny today...

newlifenewname Mon 30-Jul-07 10:01:16

Oh! Sounds interesting, hope it goes well for you - and works!

Good luck with it!

growingbagpuss Mon 30-Jul-07 10:02:36

LEt us know how it goes.... I am 39 weeks pg, and praying mine go after the LO is born, but they are so huge I am not confident..... is this on the NHS or private?

insywinsyspider Mon 30-Jul-07 22:01:45

how did it go? my mum had this (she's 50) rather than having them stripped and said they healed much quicker and was less painful - stockings were a pain in the arse tho (and quite unattractive )

growingbagpuss - she had it on nhs but think only some pct's offer it

MummyDarlingSausage Mon 30-Jul-07 22:37:12

I had a vein stripped in one leg 2 weeks ago. I'm so happy I had it done and I haven't had much pain(took pain killers for one day) I haven't worn skirts ever really as I had bad veins in my calf since I was a teenager - The bruising is just going and I can already see a vein free leg - it is amazing (I have bought 2 skirts this week!) I am having the foam injections in a few thread veins at the end of August so I am interested to know how it go's. Good luck and I hope you get the results you want

growingbagpuss Tue 31-Jul-07 09:18:49

This is all very encouraging!! I'm am 5'10" and my legs look hideous with the enormous bulges in them... I'm sure a lot is the extra weight I'm carrying, but it is nice to know there is hope for me to return to wearing shorts again one day!

The TED stockings don't worry me too much - I've had to wear maternity support tights since 20 weeks pg so I'm used to that delight!!

Whooosh Tue 31-Jul-07 13:23:56

Well ladies-it was fine-pain free apart from a few "sharp scratches"-why do they use that expression?
Slightly undignified in the position they put me in but other than that,great..................................................................................Apart from the hideous stocking they gave me which now looks like i have one of Heather Milss McCartney's first edition cast off artificial legs

Lovely flesh tone and it has to stay on (over bandages)for at least two weeks.One thing in it's favour (but is also a PITA) is it comes up round one hip with a velcro belt to stop it falling down.Much better than teds but itches like crazy.

Definitely better than when I had them stripped but I won't know the results for a while <sigh>

CantSleepWontSleep Tue 31-Jul-07 23:02:21

You do know you're not incognito any more don't you Whooosh?! Glad it went well and look forward to seeing it tomorrow .

Whooosh Wed 01-Aug-07 09:29:58

Yes -well I would be useless at pretending to be a troll wouldn't I .Fortunately it wasn't a UCM type problem

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: