Talk

Advanced search

Staples removed yesterday and wound has reopened in the night.

(4 Posts)
almostdivorcedeek Wed 10-Jul-19 09:48:50

Had surgery just under 2 weeks ago and Consultant used staples, had them removed yesterday - quite painful whilst removing, afterwards skin felt sensitive and itchy. Nurse commented on how well it had knitted together and didn't need a dressing.
Awoke this morning to blood all over my sheets, felt the wound as it's on my back so tricky to see and it didn't feel right. DD confirmed its reopened and now quite gaping.

I'm seeing the nurse in an hour, so fed up - due to go back to work tomorrow.

I really haven't over done it in the last few weeks in fact its been a bit of a running joke as I've used the excuse to get out of most things! All I can think of is that I must have done it in my sleep as I turned over plus its on the side that I tend to sleep on.

Dreading what will need to be done - not sure sterie strips will cut it!

OP’s posts: |
MegGriffin Wed 10-Jul-19 15:26:30

Sounds awful. Let us know how you get on with the nurse.

almostdivorcedeek Wed 10-Jul-19 17:11:32

The nurse sterie stripped it and sent me to minor injuries who took the sterie strips off as they were too close together and then put more on. Then put a dressing on that needs to stay on till next Tuesday. My back is very sore and tender. I've emailed the Consultant to let her know what has happened - I'm not due to see her for at least a couple of months plus where I see her is 2 hours away by train.

Was so looking forward to going back to work tomorrow, now its sometime next week.

OP’s posts: |
MegGriffin Wed 10-Jul-19 17:37:33

Oh no that sounds horrible. Make sure you keep an eye out for infection. If it's on your back you may need to ask someone else to keep an eye on it for you for redness/ heat etc..I hope your recovery is now smooth.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »