Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My ds has knocked her teeth inwards - any advice please? (anyone on here a Dentist?)

(10 Posts)
MummyDarlingSausage Sat 28-Jul-07 17:13:26

My poor ds (4) fell and hit her face on a concrete step today - split her lip, chipped one of her front teeth and knocked her front teeth inwards quite a bit - she is now lisping. She has seen a nurse for the lip but the nurse said to see a dentist about her teeth. I will ring him on Monday but should I have seen a dentist sooner (to pull teeeth back into position) The teeth feel pretty solid though and arn't wobbling so I don't know if they could be moved. Has this happened to anyones dc? I am mostly worried that her adult teeth will follow the baby teeth and grow inwards. Thanks so much for any advice.

MummyDarlingSausage Sat 28-Jul-07 17:13:50

Meant dd!

BreeVanDerCampLGJ Sat 28-Jul-07 17:17:00

Has sent this to COveneer. Not sure if she is around. ATM

HedTwig Sat 28-Jul-07 17:22:49

don't know about baby teeth

but do know that adult teeth will not follow baby teeth so you can relax about that

auntyspan Sat 28-Jul-07 19:52:35

My DD chipped her front tooth and knocked it back at the same time last year. The dentist said it might discolour and fall out, but only time will tell. Luckily it's fine but there's just a massive chuck out of it {). His main concern was that the chip had exposed a nerve, but it hadn't.

No hurry for the dentist - i took DD the following day and he said it wasn't an urgent case at all.

nutcracker Sat 28-Jul-07 19:55:13

Dd2 has done this several times. On the worst occasion I got an emergency appointment with a dentist who said that the tooth was ok but could go black and fall out and also that the adult tooth behind it could be damaged when that came through, but it wasn't.

She also chipped her front bottom adult tooth (well actually it was dd1, she threw a stone at her ), but they said that was fine, just doesn't look great.

MummyDarlingSausage Sat 28-Jul-07 20:06:29

Thanks for all of your replies. I feel more relaxed now, especially as dd is feeling loads better and eating now. You have put my mind at rest until I see the dentist, thank you!

ComeOVeneer Sat 28-Jul-07 21:20:30

Just seen bree's email.
As these are baby teeth I wouldn't worry too much. A soft diet is a good idea as it will feel bruised and sore. The chip is of no consequence as she will lose that tooth at around 6ish. The tooth that has been pushed in should wor its way back down over time. The only real concern is if it has hitthe developing adut tooth that will ultimately replace it. This can cause some damage to the adult tooth, but that is usually the case a few years earlier than this before the enamelhas formed and the developing tooth ismore delicate. However this won't be evident until the tooth erupts. The dentist will just check things over but is unlikely to do any actual teatmant. HTH.

MummyDarlingSausage Sun 29-Jul-07 09:30:10

ComeOveneer, thanks for your response. Fingers crossed the adult teeth were not damaged. It was a very heavy fall and I am thankful she didn't break anything. It isn't just one tooth though - I think all the front ones - maybe 4 have been pushed in. I had a look at the roof of her mouth and it looks kind of compressed behind the teeth - more wrinkled up than normal I think. Thanks again and thank you Bree aswell.

Cloudhopper Sun 29-Jul-07 09:38:43

Something similar happened to dd1 when she was 2. She was running in B&Q, slipped and fell heavily on the concrete floor.

The tooth went black about a week later, but there was no movement or wobbling.

I went to the dentist once it went black, who was quite happy to see her, and they just looked it over and said it would come out naturally when she was 6ish, as COV said. It wasn't anything they could do anything urgent about anyway, so the delay in seeing him wasn't important.

It was great to get her looked over, even though they didn't do anything. I would definitely recommend going, just for reassurance really.

In the end the blackness has faded to grey and the tooth is still there a year later.

I was completely beside myself about the whole thing at first, so I really sympathise. You sound very calm compared to me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now