Talk

Advanced search

What's Wrong With My Arm?! Blood test earlier

(7 Posts)
whatswrongwithmyarm Tue 09-Jul-19 11:18:10

I had a blood test today (am 13 weeks pregnant). My blood came out really fast, I've never seen that before.

It's now 6 hours later and I've taken my cardigan off and noticed the bandaid was full with blood and my cardigan stained with blood. No idea how I didn't notice or feel it but it was quite a lot.

The area is also very red. Anyone had this before that can shed any light? I'm a bit concerned about infection?

Pic attached

OP’s posts: |
MadCatEnthusiast Tue 09-Jul-19 11:29:42

Sounds like they may have hit an artery as when arteries basically squirt blood whereas veins slowly drip.

An anaesthesist once didn’t fully push down on my arm after having an arterial blood gas test and it squirted out covering me in blood. I had a lot of bruises in the crook of my arm for a while

Mabelface Tue 09-Jul-19 11:29:52

Just apply some pressure on it until it stops bleeding. If it won't stop, get medical advise. I had the same after a blood test whilst in hospital last year. Pressure and a new dressing sorted it.

whatswrongwithmyarm Tue 09-Jul-19 11:38:15

Bloody hell is hitting an artery not bad?!

It's stopped bleeding now. Bloody hurts though.

OP’s posts: |
runoutofnamechanges Tue 09-Jul-19 12:01:47

It does sound like they took blood from an artery rather than a vein. Don't worry - some blood tests require taking blood from an artery. You are going to have a big bruise though.

Just to be thorough, as with even the simplest procedure or injury there is always a risk of complications... If it starts bleeding again or there is swelling, you get pins and needles, the pain becomes severe, or the arm below is pale or cold, you should go to A&E. That is just standard advice not something that is likely to happen so don't stress.

Nothingoriginalhere Tue 09-Jul-19 15:15:29

It looks more like you were a bit sensitive to the plaster.
Im a phlebotomist and its not unusual for patients to say their blood came out too fast but it be perfectly normal speed.
It can bleed a little some.times affer a blood test especially if you did not press firmly on the area for a couple of minutes after the blood test.

Greybeardy Tue 09-Jul-19 15:39:13

It’s just a big vein (veins get bigger when you’re pregnant usually). Sometimes they bleed a lot. You have to try quite hard to hit brachial artery even when you’re aiming for it so the chances that they got it by accident are small (and it’s not 100% obvious which arm that is so it may be no where near the artery)....not that it would particularly matter if it was an arterial puncture as long as the bleeding’s stopped. (From an anaesthetist).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »