Advanced search

Fall on outstretched arm

(14 Posts)
Kaylasmum49 Sun 07-Jul-19 23:46:16

I'm on holiday in Turkey atm, about an hour ago I fell and landed on my arm. I have very severe pain from my wrist to my shoulder. I'm concerned that I might have broken it. Any medical people about with advice about what I should do?

OP’s posts: |
INeedNewShoes Sun 07-Jul-19 23:51:49

I am not medical but I know of two different people who have broken their shoulder falling over and putting their arm out to save themselves.

I think you'll have to get it x-rayed.

Have you got travel insurance?

Kaylasmum49 Sun 07-Jul-19 23:54:43

Yes we have travel insurance, I will have to wait until tomorrow though.

OP’s posts: |
lovelilies Sun 07-Jul-19 23:56:14

If you think you've damaged it it will need seeing by a dr/nurse.
Take some painkillers and sleep if you must wait until the morning (are the hospitals not 24h?)

MadameJosephine Mon 08-Jul-19 00:00:57

Go to a hospital? Why would you not go if you think you’ve broken your arm?

cheeseislife8 Mon 08-Jul-19 00:04:03

Poor you, I've done that falling up the stairs (really!). Go get it checked out!

Kaylasmum49 Mon 08-Jul-19 00:10:25

Madame josephine, because I am in a foreign country and I have no clue where the hospital is. I also have two children one of which suffers from extreme anxiety and is autistic.

OP’s posts: |
Gingernaut Mon 08-Jul-19 00:14:18

Yes, it's possible you've broken something.

A Fall On Out Stretched Hand (FOOSH) break is very common.

How do you come to be in a country where you can't find your way around?

Kaylasmum49 Mon 08-Jul-19 00:18:03

I haven't been here before. Why would I know my way around?

OP’s posts: |
MadameJosephine Mon 08-Jul-19 00:21:50

But surely if you have internet signal you can google where the local hospital is? I appreciate your circumstances make it more difficult but if you genuinely think it might be broken you need to be seen by a medical professional

stillmoving Mon 08-Jul-19 00:23:31

OP, use google.

tryingtobebetterallthetime Mon 08-Jul-19 00:26:45

A fall on outstretched hand is a classic mechanism for a Colles fracture of the wrist. It is a fracture of the radius, one of the forearm bones. I'm not a doctor but have some training in this area, and what you describe could well be one of these fractures. What a nuisance and pain for you.

I would suggest you find a way to get it looked at. If it is a fracture the pain will ease quite a bit once it is immobilized. Good luck with it.

runoutofnamechanges Mon 08-Jul-19 00:28:16

It's very likely that you have broken it - as Gingernaut says, FOOSH injuries are very common. You really ought to go to A&E now, however difficult that is. You can make it a whole lot worse by leaving it untreated.

In particular, if you get pins and needles or any signs of shock - clamminess, rapid pulse or breathing, dizziness/fainting, nausea, vomiting, weakness, enlarged pupils - you should go immediately.

bananaskin123 Mon 08-Jul-19 09:14:50

My DH did this and he had a fractured humerus. Hope you have found an A&E and you aren't in too much pain now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »