Talk

Advanced search

Food intolerance ???? Help pls

(15 Posts)
mrssunshinexxx Fri 05-Jul-19 20:20:50

I am certain my dh is intolerant to something

After most evening meals he will need to repeatedly go to the toilet and pass wind which smells awful

He complains a lot about this but isn't actively doing anything to get to the bottom of it I think I would really struggle to get him to the doctors

Does any one have any advise , ideas on how we could work out what he's intolerant too.,

Much appreciated x

OP’s posts: |
Ellabella989 Fri 05-Jul-19 20:38:07

Could be something like gluten or lactose intolerance or bad IBS. If he won’t go to the doctors then get him to try buscopan and activated charcoal tablets and see if they help. Buscopan will help with any stomach pains and activated charcoal will break down the gas in his guts. Maybe keep a food diary for a week too to see when he gets the most gassy and if there’s a pattern with what he’s eating

mrssunshinexxx Fri 05-Jul-19 20:50:46

@Ellabella989 thank you for taking the time to reply I have thought of doing a food diary from today so will start

I feel bad I mainly cook from scratch and mostly pretty healthy and it always makes him ill sad

We will get there I'm sure x

jenthelibrarian Fri 05-Jul-19 20:59:06

If you can get him to try it, an exclusion diet might be a start.
Here's the Addenbrookes version, which is usually respected by GPs as it's not from some 'quack' source.
If this doesn't find the culprit you could go onto the Fodmaps list which is much harder work.
Wishing you luck!

notapizzaeater Fri 05-Jul-19 21:00:06

A food diary would be the first option, is it just tea or lunch and breakfast ?

mrssunshinexxx Fri 05-Jul-19 21:06:21

@jenthelibrarian thank you v kind of you will definitely look into this tomorrow

@notapizzaeater tends to be dinner only

Jellylegsni Fri 05-Jul-19 21:09:07

I honestly thought you were talking about your child.

mrssunshinexxx Fri 05-Jul-19 21:44:50

@Jellylegsni not sure why you would think that

Jellylegsni Fri 05-Jul-19 23:04:31

Because you're talking about starting a food diary for him. He's a grown man. He should do his own food diary

mrssunshinexxx Sat 06-Jul-19 07:28:46

@Jellylegsni so because someone is a grown man you can't do a kind thing for them to help them out
He has a highly stressful job and is away from home Monday to Friday so I'm pretty sure if I want to help him with this I can

Get off the thread

Boyskeepswinging Sat 06-Jul-19 07:39:12

"Get off the thread" Blimey! confused

notapizzaeater Sat 06-Jul-19 09:48:05

Is he ill when away from home ?

GlamGiraffe Sat 06-Jul-19 09:55:50

Does he eat quickly at home or talk a lot while he's eating? What does he drink with his meals?
I was thinking if he's normally alone maybe at home he really talks to you whilst eating and swallows loads of extra air? or you eat later together so he gobbles faster because he's hungry?

MollyHuaCha Sat 06-Jul-19 10:02:58

I'd suggest it could possibly be intolerance to gluten, dairy or onions.

Synecdoche Sat 06-Jul-19 10:05:57

An exclusion diet is the only way to pin down an intolerance. Ask your GP for a referral to a dietitian. It's 100% worth doing imo but better with support to avoid deficiencies etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »