Talk

Advanced search

Have you ever been fat shamed?

(10 Posts)
teaandbiscuits89 Thu 04-Jul-19 11:07:58

How did you respond?

OP’s posts: |
AnneLovesGilbert Thu 04-Jul-19 11:12:12

Only by a “friend” who was a lot bigger than me. I was slimmish and healthy, she was always making digs till she eventually shagged my boyfriend and I ditched them both. I think I said “oh, thanks hmm

ExpletiveDelighted Thu 04-Jul-19 11:14:48

Only on MN. I ignored and carried on posting about the actual subject of the thread. It's never happened in real life.

HappyLoneParentDay Thu 04-Jul-19 11:26:05

Ohhhhhhh yes! Many times. I can't remember what I said, only what I wish I'd said. I've vowed to respond with a tap to my stomach and "Hey, it's all paid for!!" said with a smile.
Bullies are all the same. They like to see that they've got to you. Don't give them that privilege.

If on Mumsnet - "I beg your pardon?! Did you mean to be so shallow?"

SwearyWhitehouse Thu 04-Jul-19 11:37:04

I gained a fair bit of weight many years back at the same time a “friend” lost a lot. I’d always been 2 sizes smaller than her and we swapped. When we saw her one day she told me “I’m disgusted with how big you have got” - I was a size 14. We are no longer friends.

Since then I’ve been everything from a 4 (anorexic) to a 16. Whatever size I am people - mainly men - make derogatory comments about my body. It’s one of the perils of existing as a woman in a shallow, body policing world.

SwishSwishSheesh Thu 04-Jul-19 11:39:08

I fat shame myself grin gotta keep it real!

Buyitinbamboo Thu 04-Jul-19 12:45:06

I never got shamed when I was fat but I lost 5 stone and people seem to think it's ok to be very rude about how fat I was now I've lost it.

EKGEMS Thu 04-Jul-19 15:06:48

Yes. I was standing at my eight month old son's side in pediatric ICU (to set the scene) he was on life support as he had RSV induced respiratory failure. My husband's family friend, an ordained minister, was in town for a family visit from far away came into visit and it was just me and son at the time. He basically started the visit off with "Just wanted to come by and say a word of prayer" then segued into "Boy you look different than your wedding I guess you haven't lost the baby weight yet"
I had only gained 30 lbs pregnancy weight btw. I was just stunned speechless-here I was with my baby so sick and a near stranger to me felt it was appropriate to shame me for my body! Honest to god I'm not quite sure how I didn't deck him then and there. When I relayed this to my DH he was stunned

Pipandmum Thu 04-Jul-19 15:16:56

I ran into my old boss and he said ‘gee you’ve gotten fat’. Someone else nearby just looked at him and said ‘that’s what happens when you’re six months pregnant’!
I was playing tennis and a group of lads aged about 13 were watching and one went on and on about how big my butt was. I ignored them until the ball rolled over towards them. That’s when I noticed the one doing all the talking was pretty chubby himself. I kinda figured he’d been teased a lot and maybe felt finally he had someone he could make fun of. Sad.

CosmicVagina Thu 04-Jul-19 15:26:35

Hell yes. In clubs and pubs all the time.

I was riding my horse once and a man shouted at me from outside a pub that I was too fat to ride. I am much more confident when I'm riding so I rode over to the pub and asked to talk to him but he wouldn't come out and face me..

A couple in their early twenties whispered to each other at a supermarket checkout, I heard the woman say to her boyfriend 'will you still love me I I look like that' and him saying no - I turned around and told them of they were going to talk about people they shouldn't be so obvious.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »