Talk

Advanced search

Extremely sore throat been given antibiotics

(2 Posts)
CathyandHeathcliff Wed 03-Jul-19 18:42:20

My throat is unbearably sore. I went to my GP today and they saw white pus around my tonsils. However she wasn’t convinced about giving me antibiotics as I’m still breastfeeding my 8 month old. She has prescribed me phenoxymethylpenicillin and to take two tablets, four times a day for a week. This seems a lot, of course I’m going to take them as I’m in so much pain, but worried about it transferring to my DS through my milk. I don’t have an allergy to penicillin , but my SIL does and now I’m worried my DS will too and have a reaction from feeding.

Anyone have any experiences?

OP’s posts: |
Nogodsnomasters Thu 04-Jul-19 07:22:38

Hi op, the prescription does seem a lot but it's also the dose that I had when I had scarlet fever (strep throat) basically very similar to tonsillitis so completely normal amount, were you given 7 or 10 days of tablets?

Try not to worry about your ds having a reaction, it would be almost immediate so you'd know by now so for example you had your first dose, breastfed him, you would see an allergic reaction within an hour or two of that so you'd know about it by now. Just try to rest, you should hopefully see an improvement with antibiotics in 24-48 hours.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »