Talk

Advanced search

Raised liver gamma gt

(6 Posts)
SchoolGateBeta Fri 28-Jun-19 12:36:27

That's it really. I have ibs/hormone issues, alot of diarohea so I've had blood tests. And I've got a really high gamma liver reading even though I don't drink much. Aside from stopping alcohol completely and cheese. Any suggestions as to what I can do? I am apple shaped but exercise and am size 14 and eat healthy as I've ibs so I feel a bit cheated over this but worried too. The GP seems out of suggestions so I thought I'd ask here.... Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Egghead68 Fri 28-Jun-19 17:08:29

How much are you drinking? (How much is not much?)

Are you on any medication that might raise it?

DickAmbush Fri 28-Jun-19 17:11:37

Try not to worry too much - IBS can cause liver enzymes to fluctuate, as can things like exercise or environmental triggers.

Elevated GGT on its own isn't a massive cause for concern, and people often falsely believe that alcohol consumption is the sole cause of raised liver enzymes.

Ask your GP to repeat the bloods in 4-6 weeks time, to see if there's a trend, either upwards or downwards.

SchoolGateBeta Fri 28-Jun-19 23:41:29

Egg - I share half a bottle of of wine about once every 10 days and often go a few weeks not drinking.

Thanks DickA, I'll do that. But I am a bit worried.

OP’s posts: |
Chocolatedeficitdisorder Fri 28-Jun-19 23:43:45

My Gamma Gts rose to a peak of 1050 when I was having regular gallbladder attacks last year. I went on to have my gallbladder removed. I'm really relieved to see mine at 60 these days!

Egghead68 Sat 29-Jun-19 02:35:55

Well that really doesn’t sound like much alcohol.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »