Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cough in 8 month old: How long should I let it go on for before seeing GP again?

(9 Posts)
SydneyB Thu 26-Jul-07 16:21:44

DD, 8 months, has had a pretty constant cough and cold since she started at nursery about 2 months ago. Its the cough I'm worried about. I went to see my GP when she first had it and they said it was just a cold and not to worry. She's otherwise fine, eating, sleeping, active and happy and although has had the odd day of a high temp I think this has just been down to fighting those nursery lurgies. My instinct tells me there's little my GP could do anyway but she coughs most of the night it seems and it does sound really chesty. I guess I'm just looking for a little reassurance that this will pass... just wondering WHEN?!

NAB3 Thu 26-Jul-07 16:25:36

Watch it doesn't go on to her chest.

littleboo Thu 26-Jul-07 16:30:02

the rattling in her chest is probably due to the gunk in her upper airways. Be really guided by how she is in herslef, if she's ok, happy, eating drinking playing, no temperature probably virral. will then clear of its own accord.
If continues to be troublesome more at night then might be worth checking out.
Any history of asthma or allergies in the family?? ( although Drs very reluctant to confirm as asthma in a child so young)
Make sure at night she's well supported, maybe raise head end of cot ( try telephone book under cot feet rather than something under the pillow.Keep room cool, give her plenty to drink.

NAB3 Thu 26-Jul-07 19:09:02

My child was happy in himself, no temp, kept eating, GP said he was fine ended up with a bad chest infection.

SydneyB Sun 29-Jul-07 10:22:18

Took DD to GP in the end and she has bronchiolitis.. coughing like crazy poor thing. GP's has given us antibiotics which I don't quite get as was sure it was a virus...

LIZS Sun 29-Jul-07 11:42:37

It is triggered by a virus (RSV, the common cold) but perhasp the gp thinks there is an associated infection . dd had uti and ear infections straight after bronchiolitis as her resistance was lowered.

PavlovtheCat Sun 29-Jul-07 11:47:46

I had/have this with DD, now aged 13 months, she has always 'suffered' from a rattly chest, I take her to the Drs every time. Her health is otherwise fine, she suffers so little from colds and illness, and this does not hassle her either, and like yours, more problemati at night.

GP said it is due to mucous trickling down into her lungs from her nasal passage due to a minor cold, which is nothing to worry about and common for babies this age. It always clears up, and then comes back again once in a while. She has had it probably about 4 times now.

Helath visitor said tho, to make sure her bedding is changed regularly, and her cot mattress is hoovered often, in case it is a dust allergy, which I dont think it is, as its not consistent enough.

If in doubt tho, go back to GP and get him to reassure again. Or give antibiotics if it is achest infection.
Hope she gets better soon

PavlovtheCat Sun 29-Jul-07 11:48:52

oh sorry x-posted without readinbg more fully
Sorry your LO is poorly, and it more serious. I really ope she feels better soon.

SydneyB Sun 29-Jul-07 12:29:03

Thanks Pavlov. She does seem ok in herself but the cough is really alarming. She's in nursery but we're about to go away for a couple of weeks so hope that will give her immune system a well-earned rest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now