Talk

Advanced search

Colonoscopy and polyps

(20 Posts)
boble1 Tue 25-Jun-19 14:22:04

Hi

I had a colonoscopy 3 years ago and they found 3 benign polyps. I was diagnosed with IBS.

I have my surveillance colonoscopy on Friday and wondered what the chances are of more polyps having grown in that time.

Also, if I don't eat very much before the dreaded Moviprep, will I spend less time on the toilet or does it not make much of a difference?

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Thank you

OP’s posts: |
allypally999 Tue 25-Jun-19 15:22:06

I had some removed 30 years ago and they never came back. As far as I can gather they are generally slow growing even if they are cancer but I'm not a doctor. Not sure re your idea but I think that stuff just keeps hosing through you (what it feels like lol) until you are pink inside and its clean water coming out and its sure its done its job. Good luck

boble1 Tue 25-Jun-19 15:24:47

Hi

Oh, that's wonderful that yours never came back!

I've already got a loose tummy as I'm super nervous, really not looking forward to the "clean out".

xx

allypally999 Tue 25-Jun-19 18:50:54

Yes the clearout is the worst bit - don't leave the house lol (towards the end of it you will be within yards of the loo anyway trust me) ... its all worth it to get reassurance though eh? I was told the stuff they give you is less lethal these days - thank God for that at least!

Tanfastic Tue 25-Jun-19 19:21:47

Dh has a coup,e removed and nothing was found in his follow-up.

carneconchilli Tue 25-Jun-19 19:30:07

My mum once had colon cancer (caught early thanks to colonoscopy) and now has regular checks. At each check she has polyps removed.. she's like a factory for making them. So you may have grown more but they'll just remove them. Also, think moviprep does what it does regardless of how much you do or don't eat prior

boble1 Tue 25-Jun-19 20:15:38

Thank you! X

mrsed1987 Wed 26-Jun-19 15:09:30

I had a colonoscopy on saturday. The prep was ok, i just drank it and then stayed on the loo for 2 hours lol

boble1 Wed 26-Jun-19 16:22:34

Oh no! 2 hours! I hope my legs dont go numb x

faelavie Wed 26-Jun-19 19:42:33

Depends on the type of polyp, there are a few different types. Generally slow growing, they may take 3 to 5 years to return, it varies though.
You'll be on the loo a while anyway regardless of how much you eat at your "last meal" lol. Hope it goes well.

Source: am endoscopy nurse

boble1 Wed 26-Jun-19 21:00:11

faelavie

Ah thank you!

I'm so nervous xx

boble1 Fri 28-Jun-19 16:32:15

Hi

Just a little update.

I had the colonoscopy today. All normal!!!!

I'm super happy.

This one was a bit more painful than the previous, I'm awful with the trapped wind feeling.

I need to go back in 5 years.

I got very upset and started crying - but everyone was ever so nice and it was done in a private hospital and I got a delicious sirloin steak and horseradish baguette!

Thank you for all the help and advice, much appreciated.

Liz xx

megletthesecond Fri 28-Jun-19 16:34:10

smile a normal colonoscopy is one of the best feelings.

Egghead68 Fri 28-Jun-19 16:58:49

So happy for you Boble1 !

carneconchilli Fri 28-Jun-19 19:05:44

Excellent news!!! smile

carneconchilli Fri 28-Jun-19 19:07:10

And that baguette sounds delish!!

boble1 Fri 28-Jun-19 19:58:06

Thank you!

I Still can't believe it!

My bottom was soooo sore last night blush

mrsed1987 Sat 29-Jun-19 06:43:36

@boble1 dont worry i cried before when the nurse came in to get me ready because I was worried and after because I was pleased lol x

boble1 Sat 29-Jun-19 08:53:28

I did apologise for crying. I do have severe anxiety too and also think the worst.

Thank you for all the support xx

boble1 Sat 29-Jun-19 12:25:59

Oh, and my prep was noted as "excellent"!

I feel like I've won an award halo

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »