Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So worried about DD's cough.

(10 Posts)
lady007pink Wed 25-Jul-07 21:50:30

Hi, everybody. My DD is 8 months old and has had a nasty cough since last Friday. We were on holidays in Spain then, and called out the doctor. She explained there was mucus in DD's chest, and needed a nebuliser to help clear it. The nebuliser worked as most of the mucus cleared. But she said if DD became feverish to bring her to GP when we returned home. I thought she was feverish yesterday - Her cough is worse during the night and sounds really awful, but I got scared when I felt her in the morning and she was very clammy. I brought her to my own GP, and he said her chest is now clear as a bell, and that I just need to get her to breathe in steam to help get the mucus through her nose - which I've been doing. She still has that rotten cough. She's asleep at the moment. She's very clammy at the moment. I don't know what to do - is it normal for them to get clammy like this? I'm also afraid of sounding like a neurotic mother.....

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Wed 25-Jul-07 21:54:27

Hello...sorry to hear you are worried. You aren't neurotic - just a caring mum. I personally keep a clear glass in the cupboard at all times for when DS gets any spots on chest etc and I can do the glass test right away, so you are not alone with worrying!

I wouldn't worry too much about the clamminess as you know yourself how adults can get with a bad cough etc - makes you all hot and clammy...I would just keep an eye on her, make sure room isn't hot, not to many layers etc, keep the fluids up (most important) and if she wakes up fully at all, I've always found a nice bath does wonders for that kind of thing.

If her temperature goes up and she's not responsive or you aren't happy with her in any way at all - just ring the Dr - that's what they are there for and always best to put your mind at rest rather than worrying needlessly.

Hope this helps and she gets better soon

lady007pink Wed 25-Jul-07 21:57:19

Thanks, CJC. Her temperature is normal at all times, thank goodness - but still not putting my mind fully at ease! And, yes, I am keeping an eye on her skin.

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Wed 25-Jul-07 22:03:38

That's really good regarding her temperature though. DS has had a bad cough this last week or so too. Doctor said it was upper respiratory tract infection and nothing he could give him as was viral in origin...so, we have just been giving him baby meltus, keeping the room slightly on the cooler side and when he gets clammy, nice bath and fresh change of clothes...seems to be working so far...

Also, do you have a grobag for her? I've found that some grobags can make DS very clammy -especially the brand name ones. I've found the mothercare own brand with no fleece, just cotton the best ones....

lady007pink Wed 25-Jul-07 22:09:14

CJC, she actually sleeps in the bed with me, so it's probably the quilt that's making her clammy - though i wonder why I'm not clammy, too? Maybe because I'm not the one coughing.
Is your DS okay now? Sounds like he had the same thing as DD.

southeastastra Wed 25-Jul-07 22:10:23

there's a really bad coughing bug going around. vicks is good

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Wed 25-Jul-07 22:13:23

This will sound poncey now but is the quilt cover 100% cotton as I've found - for myself though, not DS, that if it isn't, I end up with a clammy night! It could well be that...maybe worth switching to a single quilt for you and laying her beside you with a grobag on instead? I don't co-sleep so I don't know about the effects of quilts but I know they aren't recommended on cots before a year so perhaps maybe not while in your bed either?? That's just my thinking though, other people may not have experienced any problems at all

DS is a lot better now thanks....he still has coughing fits though, usually right in my face when he's sat on my lap having a story read to him... boys! lol!!

lady007pink Wed 25-Jul-07 22:19:12

Her top front teeth are coming down, too, and I'm wondering if that could be anything to do with it? I might try and get that grobag next time I'm shopping.
It's terrible to be dealing with these bugs in July!
I feel better, though, after reading your posts, CJC and SEA - thank you both very much.

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Wed 25-Jul-07 22:21:56

Oh could well be. When DS is teething, he has toxic poos, temperature and nappy rash! I fail to see how it all links in, but it does!

Mothercare own brand gro bags are the best - we are using a 1.0 tog for DS atm and he wears a short sleeved vest and babygro under it - its not that warm considering its July...

pirategirl Wed 25-Jul-07 22:23:24

sounds v coincidental, with the teeth coming too. Prob related, she is dealing with both, she has a cold thats my guess.

My dd coughed every night all night for about a yr,was eventually given an inhaler. She didn't really respond to that, yet grew out of it thank god.

But now if she gets a cough, it can last for weeks, as her lungs are apparently not brill at staying clear.

Your little one is prob actually hot, it has been humid some nights recently. I am sure she will be fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now