Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chicken Pox - Please have a read......

(12 Posts)
vicksie Wed 25-Jul-07 20:34:03

Just thought I would share this with you, I am not trying to scare people but just to make you aware.

A week ago my ds who is 2 developed chicken pox, which at the time I remember thinking good as I have always been told that chicken pox is better when your young etc. Anyway to cut a long story short we ended up at hospital for 2 nights having antibiotics put through a needle into his vein. He developed a condition called Cellulitus, which means that a chicken pox spot became infected and caused this horrendous rash and swelling across his chest.To say that we were scared was an understatement, and the pain that my lovely normally happy little boy was in I could see etched across his face.I could not cuddle him ,or pick him up he would not let me near him. He was also running a high fever.If we had not gone to the doctors when we did (and the rash and swelling spread within a few hours) he could have got severe blood poisoning. I have never felt so useless in all my life, here is me that reads about everything on the Internet and can sometimes be an annoying walking talking textbook and I had never ever heard of it. The Doctors were telling me how it can affect 1 in 10 children and also how they have seen children develop pneumonia with Chicken Pox. Now I just feel really guilty that I was so blasé about Chicken Pox and I was willing him to get it as it was going around the village. I could just kick myself.

Now we have just got home and he is tucked up safe in bed. Not recovered fully, the horrible rash will take some time to go and he will have to take antibiotics for the next 2 weeks ? but I thank god for the doctors and nurses that saved him.

Please be aware of the dangers of Chicken Pox and yes I know it can be more dangerous when your older, but honestly I would not wish any child to have to go through the pain and discomfort that my beautiful ds has gone through in these last few days.

Thanks for reading, I?m off for a long soak and a good cry.

moodlesoup Wed 25-Jul-07 20:36:27

poor you vicksie. thanks for the post, its really helpful as my dd has just caught it today so i will bear your comments in mind over the next few weeks.
hope you're ok - it must have been so traumatic for you all. thanks again, its really helpful.
x

henrybaba Wed 25-Jul-07 20:38:06

You poor thing - did the cry make you feel better?? - and thanks for this posting - really informative and a good heads-up.
x

princessmel Wed 25-Jul-07 20:38:41

Oh dear vicksie. That sounds awful. I know how you feel as dd was in hospital earlier this year with a virus. She had drips, feeding tubes etc and it was so awful to see.

I'll remeber this info. Loads of my friends children have cp at the moment.

vicksie Wed 25-Jul-07 20:47:29

Do you know henrybaba I have tried to cry but I can't, for some reason I have gone into practical parent mode and feel like if I cry I won't be strong enough for my ds - daft innit, thanks for all other messages of support x

loopylou6 Wed 25-Jul-07 20:51:49

i had cellulitus, my new shoes had rubbed my foot and the little cut got infected it swelle dup and was painful but everyone said it was nothing to worry about, in the end i took myself the out of hours docs and she gave me tablets right there and then out of her case which im sure u all know isnt the normal procedure, its a very nasty thing, im supoer paranoid about it now.

kamikayzed Wed 25-Jul-07 20:52:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

vicksie Wed 25-Jul-07 20:59:00

I can honestly say kamikayzed that I would support a vaccine in this country, I am probably very emotional now but after seeing the suffering and knowing it is as low as 1 in 10, I really am swayed that way. I also believe America give a vaccine.

loopylou6, how horrid for you. Im utterly paranoid now as well.

vicksie Wed 25-Jul-07 21:01:07

Well my bath is getting cold so I am off. Hope more people read this x

Hulababy Wed 25-Jul-07 21:03:30

How frightening for you all. Hope your DS is felling much better soon.

expatinengland Wed 25-Jul-07 22:00:31

so sorry to hear about your DS, but glad he's doing much better and that you're getting the word out about chicken pox. The NHS won't pay for it in my opinion because the cost isn't worth it. They just don't care but then again nobody in the UK seems to care (until I heard from you all) that it isn't available so on is fighting for it. People thought I was a crazy American or something, but it can kill and there's a vaccine to prevent that from happening. (0bviously somebody could also have a bad reaction from the vaccine...)

The vaccine has been available in the US for nearly 15 years and we just got DD vaccinated here but of course we had to pay for it. I've posted here before about my experienc..first GP said there's no such thing as a varicella vaccine..Hello...then he said it's not available on the NHS and I said I don't care, we're paying for it. It is required before kids go to school in the US and we need her to have it anyway.

Why would somebody not want to take advantage of new (well not new..been out since mid-90s) medical advancements. I have lots of friends who are paying privately to get the separate MMR jabs (not getting into that argument) but they think I'm stupid for getting DD the chicken pox vaccine.

Again, so glad you DS is doing well...and glad he's going to be okay..it is a MYTH that all cases are not bad if children are young and don't believe the NHS propaganda..they want to keep everybody stupid. True, most cases are easier when the children are younger, but what if they're not. My DH was hospitalized with CP when he was 12 and I had a miserable case when I was 13...absolutely terrible, but fortunately, not life threatening.

Get the word about about the truth..and yes you can get the CP vaccine in the UK..just have to pay....which is sad.

vicksie Thu 26-Jul-07 19:40:45

Thanks for that expatinengland, very interesting to hear of your experience. I really think very strongly now that we need a chicken pox vaccine, I would hate any child to suffer how ds did and talking to people, no one really knows the risks. I will keep trying to vocally express my concern - but have not got a clue how to go about trying to get someone in the know to realise how serious this is. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now