Talk

Advanced search

Lupus question

(1 Post)
bellainthemiddle Sat 22-Jun-19 10:45:14

This is a bit of a funny one, but I'd really appreciate some advice!

Early in my pregnancy, my blood tests kept coming back a bit funny - low WBC and low platelets. Because of this, they did a few extra blood tests - blood film and ANA, and the ANA came back positive. They then tested the ENA, and that came back positive too. My GP said that she'd have to refer me to rheumatology because the results indicated "some kind of autoimmune problem", but was very much like, "don't worry about it." I have to confess that I then basically didn't give it another thought, since I wasn't having any symptoms and was more concerned about my pregnancy, becoming a new mum, etc.

DD was born early (34 weeks) on 3 June and is doing very well! I am also feeling fine (albeit a bit tired!) but just got my rheuomatology letter through with an appointment for next week at the Lupus clinic. I'm feeling a bit thrown because I'd totally forgotten about it. And just having become a parent, I really really really don't want to be diagnosed with a lifelong condition! Well, I suppose nobody ever does, to be fair.

The other thing that's throwing me is that I think I literally have NO symptoms, except for the low WBC count etc. No rash, no aches and pains, no fevers, no unusual tiredness. So, I guess what I'm asking is, can there be such a thing as a "false positive" on these blood tests? Or is it more likely that I do have some kind of autoimmune condition and just don't have any symptoms yet?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »