Talk

Advanced search

Results of tongue biopsy: what to expect

(2 Posts)
Tigermom79 Sat 22-Jun-19 10:32:40

Posting for my nanny... she went in few weeks ago to consult a doctor for tinnitus. They did a laryngoscopy, and referred her urgently for a tongue biopsy, which she had she had just about 10 days ago. During the consultation, she was told she has acid reflux and was prescribed Omeprazole (but she doesn't have classic reflux symptoms).

She hasn't noticed anything odd with her mouth (ulcers etc.) and doesn't smoke or drink. She was in some pain after the biopsy but back to normal now, and has just received a letter for a hospital consultation next week (roughly 2 weeks from biopsy).

What should she expect? If it wasn't a major problem, would they have sent her back to her GP, or would they still have booked a hospital appointment? She is understandably quite anxious.

Thanks in advance to anyone who may be able to help with general protocol and pathways in such circumstances. She is at Royal Middlesex.

allypally999 Sat 22-Jun-19 13:18:35

I had pain with a sore on my tongue but apparently this is unusual. I also had the biopsy and then as it wasn't a good result they did an excision of the growth. Both times I took a while to recover (the stitches pull when you try to eat or talk, etc). Am clear now for nearly 5 years. I don't smoke either and also have acid reflux and take omeprazole but I didn't think this was connected. Also failing to see the tinnutus connection but I'm not a doctor. I had pain for a while before I did anything about it and from start to finish it was around 6 months and my op was around 6 weeks after the biopsy. No idea if this helps lol.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »