Talk

Advanced search

Chances of needing a root canal

(10 Posts)
matildawormwoood Thu 20-Jun-19 08:24:40

Hi,

So my teeth are pretty okay, they look perfectly straight and white from the outside, however I really didn't look after them enough or have the best diet when I was a teenager which has resulted in me having a few fillings in molars. My issue is that I only have one molar on each side already as I never had all my adult teeth.

At my last check up 6 months ago, the dentist told me one of my fillings in my bottom right molar would probably need replacing soon, but that it was fine for the time being. This filling is about 10-12 years old. I then went for another check up yesterday with a new dentist, who did an X Ray and said he could see something underneath the filling, which may be decay underneath or may not, he can't tell unless he takes it out to replace it. He gave me the option of replacing the filling, however said this will of course make the filling deeper and closer to the nerve, or leave it, but this may also backfire if it is decay.

The tooth has felt quite sensitive the past week or so, so I have an appointment on Monday to have then filling replaced. I am so worried, however, about going and the dentist beginning to drill and realising the decay is too far down, and me needing a root canal.

I don't really know why I'm posting tbh, I'm just terrified! As I only have one molar on each side, I'm so scared of losing them. If I could change anything I would go back to being a teenager and stop living off a diet of fizzy drinks and chocolate!

OP’s posts: |
ElBanana Thu 20-Jun-19 08:42:06

Please don't be terrified. Root canal work isn't painful or traumatic any more. Whether it is a large filling or a root canal there will be a lot of drilling but you will be completely numb.

What I would consider is cost though, it might be more cost effective to have a root canal now rather than have a large filling that might fail sooner than you'd like.

I, like you had terrible teeth as a child and am constantly paying the price now, even though my teeth appear healthy. I have a mouth full of large fillings, root canals and implants and it costs me a fortune.

matildawormwoood Thu 20-Jun-19 08:42:11

P.s the dentist hasn't mentioned a root canal at all, I'm just a worrier!

matildawormwoood Thu 20-Jun-19 08:44:44

@ElBanana Thank you! I've just heard so many bad things.

It's a nightmare isn't it, luckily I've not needed any dental work for about 10 years since I was a teenager, but looks like these old fillings are coming back to bite me.

PaintingOwls Thu 20-Jun-19 08:46:09

So when I had a root canal the procedure wasn't painful - it was the agony I was in leading up to it that was the problem. I couldn't sleep because of the pain. I'd take paracetamol to dull it down but often it didn't do much and when it wore off I woke up. The root canal treatment was uncomfortable, but a huge relief.

ElBanana Thu 20-Jun-19 08:52:11

All dental work will fail eventually and you need to get the work done as soon as something breaks or feels sore, that way you avoid painful infections.

Honestly, I think I've had every dental procedure known to man and non of it has been has been painful, it's just uncomfortable lying down with your mouth open for long procedures.

I found a female dentist who I really like which has made a big difference to my nerves.

FriarTuck Thu 20-Jun-19 08:56:01

If the dentist hadn't mentioned it then stop worrying. If he thought it was a possibility he'd have said! Chances are it's a bit of decay which he'll remove and put a slightly bigger filling on. End of. I've had big fillings replaced. I've also had a root canal where I really didn't look after my teeth and one broke - apart from having to have my mouth open for a long time it was fine & I don't see why there's so much fuss about them. The pain from the decay is the problem, the root canal is just the time and cost!

FriarTuck Thu 20-Jun-19 08:56:28

Oh and I was panicking before the root canal because I believed the stories!!

MaximusHeadroom Thu 20-Jun-19 08:59:09

I had root canal a couple of months ago and it wasn't painful. I was dreading the anaesthetic wearing off as I was convinced it would be agony but absolutely nothing.

It does take a long time though and the drilling takes ages because the drill bits are so tiny. I took my phone and some noise cancelling headphones and listened to podcasts and it made a massive difference

matildawormwoood Mon 24-Jun-19 13:30:16

Thank you everyone! Good news though, I didn't need a root canal, I just had my filling replaced.

Dentist did it with one shot of anaesthetic to my cheek so the tooth wasn't numb at all, so that was weird! Didn't hurt apart from a shooting pain I got half way through and had to stop him. The tooth is quite sore and sensitive now so I hope this wears off and all is okay.

Think I'll be finding a new dentist though!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »