Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

I am not fit or toned... cant decide if i give a monkeys...

(19 Posts)
TranquilaManana Wed 25-Jul-07 12:22:06

im not big really pushing a 14 i spose, but mostly coz whats there is squidgy and i like to hide the bulges.
have always been between an 8-12 (apart from whe i lived in Eivissa when i was about a size 4 lol)...but have never really worked for it. jsut lucky.

so now, im 31 tomorrow, have had 3 babies in last 4 years and im not unhappy with my size, i like curves and im not into dieting at all... but i do really wish i was more toned and even and balanced out/in proportion...you know.

question is; do i wish it enough to actually exercise 4 time s aweek (what it takes it would seem)

does anyone do this??

or do i just give up and learn how to dress to disguise the unsightly bits and never wear a bikini again??

PanicPants Wed 25-Jul-07 12:25:31

I'm still waiting for my baby weight/toning to drop off naturally (ds is 2 next month).

Hasn't magically happened yet, but still hoping - can't face the 4x gym a week thing, lifes too short!

Although I'm very envious of others that do

TranquilaManana Wed 25-Jul-07 12:27:35

exactly it PP - i just want to decide if i give a rats arse or not. either do it or stop bloody dithering about it...

Sheherazadethegoat Wed 25-Jul-07 12:27:42

i was in this position last year. i kept joking that i didn't have to diet just buy bigger clothes. except i wasn't at all happy.

i go running a few times a week and do a pilates class.

it does seem like a fag at the start but once you get into it and get a buzz it becomes enjoyable and just part of life.

flowerybeanbag Wed 25-Jul-07 12:29:16

Pilates? I have a couple of dvds and do a session from one of them a couple of times a week. It's so relaxing it doesn't feel like exercise (I'm also not one for 'feel the burn'), but it does tone you up, including the dreaded bingo wings

TranquilaManana Wed 25-Jul-07 12:34:31

really?? you can tone up without all that burn shite?

and before anyone says anything abo endorphin rushes...purlease. i had a misspent youth; it takes more than a little endorphin release to give me a rush (sodding gas and air did feck all too, sadly)

PanicPants Wed 25-Jul-07 12:36:15

I bought aa few dvds, and also went to a couple of isolated exercise classess, but I'm struggling to work full time, housework, be a good mother etc etc.

There literally is no time. So tbh I really can't be bothered.

Sheherazadethegoat Wed 25-Jul-07 12:37:03

in that case just buy the elasticated trousers and relax!

flowerybeanbag Wed 25-Jul-07 12:41:06

TM - yes! Won't make you lose weight though, but will make whatever weight you are look better, iyswim?
Well, works for me anyway, is the only form of exercise I can manage to keep up, endorphins or no endorphins!

TranquilaManana Wed 25-Jul-07 12:42:33

flowery, that sounds just the thing.

i will have to find a class or 3 though... i already know that i will NEVer keep it up if i have to motivate myself to do it alone.

flowerybeanbag Wed 25-Jul-07 12:48:08

ah, you see I'm different, I am far less likely to be bothered if I have to get ready and go out to a class at a specific time, I find it easier when I can just quickly bung down my mat as soon as DS goes down for a nap.
Class good idea though, if you are more likely to do that - will help you get it right as well.
[flowery slightly surprised at herself for getting so enthusastic about something so healthy ]

CoteDAzur Wed 25-Jul-07 13:00:47

LOL to 'misspent youth' TranquilaManana

Last year I finally decided to do something about people still thinking I was pregnant (when DD was 1) and started going to the gym. Just 45 min of cardio (anything that keeps your heartrate at about 130 bpm) 4 times a week, sometimes 5. I lost only kgs but went down from 42 to 40, and best of all, nodoby thinks I am pregnant anymore.

Definitely worth it. I say do it.

TranquilaManana Wed 25-Jul-07 13:08:53

ive just realised that is exactly what i wanted to hear CoteDazur.
i so want rid of the belly.
i wouldnt mind if i had any boobs to speak of - theyd balance me out but no. fried eggs ive got.

have just downloaded the fitness cl;asses timetable for the local leisure centre. if i get on there and actually start doing it and making progress, maybe ill treat myself to a posh gym membership. maybe. (actch, am less likely to be surrounded by intimidatingly fit bootiful people in the public place than a private one... think ill stick with that then! )

laloop Wed 25-Jul-07 13:37:24

I'm another one who says to go for it! I've got 3dcs too, Tranquilamanana, so I know how difficult it is to find the time and energy to fit in exercise regularly. I have some exercise DVDs to use at home on the days I can't get out to the gym or for a walk. Davina's "Power of 3" and "3x30 min workouts" are excellent, there's another Mumsnet thread here where other DVDs have been reviewed.

TranquilaManana Wed 25-Jul-07 13:55:45

thanks laloop. will have a trawl through that...

CoteDAzur Wed 25-Jul-07 14:04:09

Posh gym sounds good. Once you pay that fee, you will be more likely to go frequently . And it is great to have some time to yourself as well. Time that DH/DP will be more than happy to give you, since it is for such a worthy cause.

TranquilaManana Wed 25-Jul-07 14:07:36

nice theory... but i was member of nice gym for 18m fairly recently. worked out ZERO times.
did use the creche tho, to go to the hairdressers.
and sometimes had a bite to eat in the cafe.

puppydavies Wed 25-Jul-07 14:12:47

i think if you can find some exercise you actually enjoy, it does boost your mood in a sustained (rather than adrenalin rush) way. personally i like walking, swimming and yoga. i actually enjoy them, rather than them being simply as means to end. the combination works for me (or did before last pg, am gradually getting back into them when i get a moment) in terms of calorie burning (so i get to eat more ) and toning (plus yoga/pilates improves posture so you look more toned even when you're not). i find now i really miss the physical activity when i can't do it, never mind how i look.

oh and as a fellow misspender of youth i have to say the high i get after a good yoga session isn't to be sneezed at

TranquilaManana Wed 25-Jul-07 14:28:14

hah. dont talk about sneezing. thats another sort of exercise i really must do more of...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: