Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone have information on elective hysterectomies (sp???)

(11 Posts)
eenybeeny Wed 25-Jul-07 12:14:57

To sum it up briefly, every month when I get my period I get suicidal. Sometimes I self harm. I get terrible migraines - and this is monthly. All these terrible symptons pass when my period goes. I dont want any more children so this morning I decided I want a hysterectomy. Do you think my GP will think I am mad if I go ask for one? Thanks for any advice.

domesticgrumpess Wed 25-Jul-07 13:27:20

Message withdrawn

bundle Wed 25-Jul-07 13:28:15

have you tried any other treatments?

NAB3 Wed 25-Jul-07 13:28:16

I think your GP may look for other ways to help before giving you such a major operation. Try Agnus Castus. Has worked wonders for me.

SanetJvv Wed 25-Jul-07 13:36:15

You are very young and your ds too. I think there will be some other options out there.

Im 29, before and after dd2 was born I was very, very sure that I dont want any more children, She is 15 months old now and the last couple of months I long another baby!!!!

Talk to them, I know the Mirena sometimes stop your period and the injection Depo Provera stops it for most women. But they will explain all your options....

PrettyCandles Wed 25-Jul-07 13:40:34

It's not a step to be taken lightly as it would cause you to have an instant and premature menopause, which woudl have a major influence on your future health.

suedonim Wed 25-Jul-07 15:34:56

Unless you have your ovaries removed as well, you'll still get all the symptoms of PMT except for the bleeding so a hysterectomy won't help at all. And if you do have your ovaries removed, as PC says, it will put you straight into menopause and the difficulties that can entail.

I think you need to be persistant with your GP in exploring all other avenues to sort it out. Good luck.

suedonim Wed 25-Jul-07 15:39:03

Sorry, bleeding isn't a symptom of PMT, but ykwim!

foxinsocks Wed 25-Jul-07 15:45:56

have you spoken to the GP about this beforehand?

I have similar problems except I don't suffer horrendous 'mental' symptoms. I too got monthly migraines with every period that would last almost the whole time I was bleeding (so up to a week) and I had AGONISING pain, 2-3 days before each period and then very heavy bleeding with awful cramps (and other weird symptoms like painful joints and strange skin rashes).

I think I did have the mental symptoms of PMT but now that I'm on some sort of treatment programme, I think a lot of the anxiety and anger I used to suffer from, was a response to the pain and also the anticipation of what I was about to go through.

I went to the GP for YEARS and they did nothing. They even had the audacity to tell me I couldn't be suffering from migraines because the normal migraine medication (Imigran) didn't work for mine, therefore I must just be suffering from a headache .

Anyway, I don't want to bore you with my tale. In the end, I got to see a gynaecologist. He has changed my life - quite literally. DON'T let them fob you off with no treatment. There are LOTS of avenues they can explore and clued up GPs will know that. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

eenybeeny Wed 25-Jul-07 16:13:39

I am on a string of mood stabilisers and anti-depressants that dont seem to do any good this time of the month. I am going to book an appointment to see my GP soon I just wanted some other opinions first as she (the GP) is a bit useless unless you have a leg growing out of your ear or something.

foxinsocks Wed 25-Jul-07 16:16:32

if she can't come up with anything, ask for a referral to a gynae

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now