Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Lochia question - tmi alert!

(8 Posts)
Diplidophus Wed 25-Jul-07 10:22:35

I had my second LO 4 weeks ago (ventouse with large episiotomoy).

I have had a uterine infection but my bleeding had pretty muc stopped. In the last few days the bleeding has increased and the blood looks a dark red fresh colour.

My stitches also feel very sore and I am worried that they had split and that the bleeding may even be from there.

I now that post natal bleeding can carry on for up to 8 weeks so I don't know if I am being just a big girls blouse or if I should get checked. Its just a palaver trying to get to the hospital to see the midwife with a neborn and a toddler in tow!

Any have any advice / experience?

GhostWriter Wed 25-Jul-07 10:27:06

Fresh red bleeding can be a sign that you are overdoing it. The advice usually is to try and rest- not easy I know -and if it tails off and lightens you know you're pushing yourself too hard.

Congratulations btw!

CodAintUsingFairyNonBio Wed 25-Jul-07 10:27:55

i totally agree
i bled fo 10 logn weeks

whywhywhy Wed 25-Jul-07 10:35:27

Dipli I bled for 6 weeks, after uncomplicated delivery of ds2. Longer and heavier than with ds1.

My memory is hazy as I was so knackered, but I think I had a couple of resurgences of blood like yours, possibly at 4 weeks.

It definitely gets worse when you exert yourself, so if you're out with LO1, etc, it will probably come and go for a lot longer than the first time.

re. the stitches might the GP be any help?

devonsmummy Wed 25-Jul-07 10:38:49

i was concerned about my stitches and my midwife came round to check them for me. Can you contact yours?

Mumpbump Wed 25-Jul-07 10:41:28

I think you should get it checked out. For the sake of a visit to the doctors and a couple of appointments, it is not worth running any risks... Think my bleeding lasted about 2 weeks.

Diplidophus Wed 25-Jul-07 10:42:46

I could - I jsut feel bad calling them out when it is probably nothing. I was also not sure as I had been 'discharged'.

Were you're stiches OK and how long after the birth was it?

I think overdoing it may be an issue - just impossible to avoid with a toddler in the midst fo the terrible twos's!

Mumpbump Wed 25-Jul-07 10:50:03

Have you done anything particularly strenuous in the last few weeks?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now