Talk

Advanced search

lengthy herpes outbreak

(4 Posts)
MsDFye Mon 17-Jun-19 23:04:14

My partner's recently had a herpes outbreak that has lasted for over three months. He seems incredibly unconcerned about this, even though he acknowledges that it is the longest outbreak he's ever had. He's had the virus since he was a very young man, so over 20 years now. He refuses to take any medication for it or even see a Doctor. I think it's got to the stage that he should at least get his general health checked out, as it seems like such a long time for this to go on.

To his credit he's been very careful not to risk passing the virus on to me. We've been together less than a year and this has had a devastating effect on our sex life and is now impacting our relationship in general. I have felt quite rejected, even though I know he is doing the right thing in protecting me from the virus. I just can't understand why he doesn't want to seek help or take medication that could rectify the situation.

I feel awful for being inpatient about an illness but I thought (and Dr Google confirms) that outbreaks usually last for a week or two. Any advice as to why it's gone on for months would be really welcome.

OP’s posts: |
Stunn Mon 17-Jun-19 23:09:13

He definitely needs to see a doctor. That's not normal. It can't be pleasant for him so no idea why he won't seek help.

MsDFye Mon 17-Jun-19 23:15:20

Thanks Stunn. I haven't wanted to discuss this with any friends in RL as it seems so disloyal but I'm really struggling with it!

OP’s posts: |
Stunn Mon 17-Jun-19 23:46:19

My brother in law has outbreaks (my sister told me). She says they're over in a week to 10 days and they've stopped since he went on a tablet he got from the doctor.

I hope he gets some treatment.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in