Talk

Advanced search

Worried about how many antibiotics I've had.

(5 Posts)
Geekster1963 Mon 17-Jun-19 22:55:24

Since the end of January I've had 7 courses of antibiotics. I've needed them and they have worked but I worry about how many I've had, I don't want to become resistant.

OP’s posts: |
iVampire Tue 18-Jun-19 06:24:35

You won’t become resistant.

It is the bacteria which can.

That’s more than one course a month though. Have there been any parallel investigations to see if there’s anything up with your immune system?

blackcat86 Tue 18-Jun-19 06:28:34

Doctors will tend to change the brand of antibiotics that they give you so you'll probably find that whilst all 7 were antibiotics they had small differences. Resistance is used to describe a wider community effect where the bug itself becomes resistant not the patient.

Fairylea Tue 18-Jun-19 06:40:50

It’s more complex than that, lots of people (like me) are on daily life long antibiotics for chronic conditions (I’ve been on them 20 years). If you needed them you needed them!

Geekster1963 Tue 18-Jun-19 08:28:30

That's reassuring to read thanks. I have the same ones all the time. I have bad eczema on my hands that blisters then I get open weeping sores that are just so vulnerable to infection where they are. They usually swab it to see if it is infected and which antibiotics will work. They do clear it up, it's just a vicious cycle. I always make sure I finish the course and take them as per the instructions.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »